Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kngelv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
Detroit
So I ordered a 512GB 13" iPad Pro after a few minutes of browsing. I failed to notice that if you go with the 1TB you get a slightly better chip and double the RAM. I mostly use my current Pro for browsing, media consumption and occasional films when traveling. Is it worth the extra $400.00 for my use case? Any reason to just go ahead and get the one with more ram?

James

G46&Fbnth5

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2021
No.

Your current iPad has 6 GB of RAM and if it is fine for your use case, then 8 GB will be even better. Same for the chip.

The only reason could be AI features that could potentially be announced at WWDC and could run better with 16 GB, but we don't know anything about that yet.

gsal

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2019
So I ordered a 512GB 13" iPad Pro after a few minutes of browsing. I failed to notice that if you go with the 1TB you get a slightly better chip and double the RAM. I mostly use my current Pro for browsing, media consumption and occasional films when traveling. Is it worth the extra $400.00 for my use case? Any reason to just go ahead and get the one with more ram?

James
Do you make money using intensive applications? If you do it’s worth it. If not it’s your money…

Reactions: off3nc3

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

You’re upgrading from the 2020 iPP to the 2024 iPP.

Chances are you’d probably be upgrading again before the better binned chip and extra RAM actually make a noticeable difference.

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
With the caveat that we don't know what is coming at WWDC, I don't think you'll notice much difference. Contrary to what some say you really can leverage the power of these M-series processors on iPad but I doubt you'll be pushing the system with those tasks.

Side note: It will be interesting to see what the real-world battery life is like, given that early reports suggest the batteries are actually pretty similar and Apple claims the M4 is so much more efficient. If you are mainly just consuming content in SDR in reasonably lit rooms, I predict improved battery life over the M2.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Even if announce AI upgrades for mobile devices would think optimized for 8 unless planning on updated next iPhone.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
If you plan to keep this iPad for 3+ years, maybe the 8 Gigs might eventually become a bottleneck, especially with the influx of AI

For the next couple of years, as a consumption device, 8 gigs should be great

Even after 3-4 years, it’s more like a “it depends”, you might be great or there might be that occasional hiccup here or there

Reactions: The Clark and Wags

The Clark

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2013
Canada
If you plan to keep this iPad for 3+ years, maybe the 8 Gigs might eventually become a bottleneck, especially with the influx of AI

For the next couple of years, as a consumption device, 8 gigs should be great

Even after 3-4 years, it’s more like a “it depends”, you might be great or there might be that occasional hiccup here or there
I could be wrong but I think AI features are mostly related to CPU architecture anyway and less ram dependant.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
For your use case, the Air would be fine. I would just stick with your order. Will always be better specs.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
ProMotion and Quad speakers are good to have for everyone
Not just working professionals

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
The additional RAM is mainly beneficial if you edit videos or procreate files with tens of layers or 60-180min of footage.
Anybody who needs more than 8 GB today on iOS, already knows it and also knows why they need it

The number of people needing it 3-5 years from now would be way more, most of them aren’t aware of that today

In fact, any heavy user who plans to keep it for over 3-5 years might benefit, but given the additional expense, it may or may not be worth it

Reactions: Wags

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Anybody who needs more than 8 GB today on iOS, already knows it and also knows why they need it

The number of people needing it 3-5 years from now would be way more, most of them aren’t aware of that today

In fact, any heavy user who plans to keep it for over 3-5 years might benefit, but given the additional expense, it may or may not be worth it
False economy. To price jump from 512GB to 1TB is £400. That's 40% of a new ipad pro.

If you think you will need 16GB Ram in 3-5 years, you are better off buying 512GB and putting £400 in a savings account towards a trade in or upgrade in 3-5 years. By then base storage and ram will have increased and you will reap improved hardware all around.

Reactions: Wags and klasma

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
False economy. To price jump from 512GB to 1TB is £400. That's 40% of a new ipad pro.

If you think you will need 16GB Ram in 3-5 years, you are better off buying 512GB and putting £400 in a savings account towards a trade in or upgrade in 3-5 years. By then base storage and ram will have increased and you will reap improved hardware all around.
Exactly what I said

if somebody needs it after 3-5 years, might as well upgrade again by then by selling current iPad

Reactions: Macalicious2011

kngelv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
Detroit
I pick it up on Wednesday at the Apple store. If they have the 1TB in stock then I might upgrade anyway. Fortunately the cost is not an issue. I usually think it's better to have and not need then need and not have. I know I'll probably always want more RAM even if I don't use it.

James

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.