8GB Ram vs 16GB RAM ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Becky10, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Becky10 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    (I have a Macbook pro from mid 2012.)
    I use programs like photoshop and final cut pro x a lot, and I have recently noticed that I have almost no free RAM and that my page outs seem to be much to high (over 2gbs). So I have been looking into it and from what I have understood I think I should updrade the RAM, only I'm not sure whether I should go for 8gb or 16gb.
    It's just that I would rather go for 8gb as it is cheaper but I'm worried that in a years time I'll need to upgrade again, in which case it would make sense to go straight for the 16gb RAM.
    Which one does it make more sense to go for considering that I use programs like photoshop and final cut pro lots? Is there a huge difference between the two?
    Thanks

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

8 is good but 16 is better. Better to have it but not need it...

3. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

16 gb ram isn't much more expensive than 8 gb ram for your computer. It will cost you more in the long run if you buy separately.

4. Becky10 thread starter macrumors newbie

On the site I found I could get 8GB RAM for 57 euros and 16GB for 99 euros... so nearly twice the price.
    yeah that is what I was thinking, but then I'm not even sure if I need 16GB of RAM or not...

5. Laco macrumors 6502

I had to make the same decision last September and I decided to go with 16 and I am very happy that I did. On an average day I use 10 to 12. Considering that I will keep the computer for at least 2 more years I only expect that to increase. If it is within your budget I think you should get 16.

6. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

If you plan on keeping the machine long term then I suggest the 16. If you plan on replacing the machine sooner than later then buy the 8.

7. Becky10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I'd like to keep my computer as long as possible.. so yeah after much thought, I think I'll be going for the 16 GB RAM. :)

8. robvas macrumors 68030

You can always add it later. RAM prices have gone up quite a bit from the beginning of this year, if you don't need it now I'd wait for them to go back down.

9. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

I have 16GB and I but really need more than 6GB of it when running a Windows VM and doing moderate work loads on both sides (OSX & Win7). Since I do that fairly often, I got 16GB. If it weren't for that specific need, however, 8GB would be plenty.

>