8gb ram

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MotorcycleBetty, Feb 2, 2012.

1. MotorcycleBetty macrumors member

MotorcycleBetty

Hello,

I have a 2008 MBP running Snow Leopard. It came with 2GB RAM installed, and I'd like to upgrade to 8GB RAM.

Is that too much RAM for such an old system? If not, how do I know what kind is compatible with my system?

2. GGJstudios, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:
    • By visiting EveryMac.com: Actual Maximum RAM
    • By using Mactracker
    • By entering your serial number here to find specs for your model. (Be aware that some models can use more RAM than Apple shows. Check EveryMac or MacTracker to verify.)
    Basically, if it's a unibody MBP, it can use up to 8GB. Non-unibody, up to 6GB. There's no such thing as "too much RAM", although you can buy more than you need.

3. MotorcycleBetty thread starter macrumors member

MotorcycleBetty

It seems that 4GB is likely to be all my system will accept. :-(

My follow-on question is: should I look for a "kit" or just get the RAM?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you have a 2008 MBP, that's not true. Read my earlier post.

5. MotorcycleBetty thread starter macrumors member

MotorcycleBetty

Thank you GGJstudios and simsaladimbamba for the links.

GGJstudios, I followed the link you provided to enter my serial number so I would know what was specific to my computer. This page http://support.apple.com/kb/SP4 tells about my model. It specifically states under the "configure to order" section that it can take: "Up to 4GB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM". That's why I said it looks like 4GB is all I can use.

If installing more RAM than Apple says the machine is capable of is a possibility, I would need more information on how this is possible, how I would go about doing it, and whether or not it would be worth my time and money to do.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's why I posted this:

7. simsaladimbamba

6 GB RAM is possible, according to the link I provided, though if you would have used Mister GGJstudios' steps, you would have found the same via EveryMac.

8. MotorcycleBetty thread starter macrumors member

MotorcycleBetty

Well, I did follow all the links before acting on the one that involved entering my serial number. There is a huge amount of info to sift through. This will have to wait until I have more time to spend figuring it out.

And when it comes to installing more than what I find is recommended, I won't pursue that avenue without information on the how's and why's of it. If that information is present on the pages already referred to, I'll find it.

Thanks for a nudge toward the reference info.

9. simsaladimbamba

My guide includes the specs and guides on what RAM to get and how to install it. It is a five minute job.

10. MotorcycleBetty thread starter macrumors member

MotorcycleBetty

I believe this section of your guide applies to my MBP:

The MacBook Pro uses Intel's Core Duo and Core 2 Duo CPUs and all models use and accept 200-pin 667 MHz PC2-5300 DDR2 SO-DIMM SDRAM.

The Core Duo MacBook Pros (2006) can have a maximum RAM of 2GB. (info)
    The first Core 2 Duo MacBook Pros (late 2006 - 2007) can take 4GB, but only utilises 3GB of it. (info)
    The Core 2 Duo MacBook Pros using the Santa Rosa platform (late 2007) can take up to 6GB of RAM and fully utilise it. (info)

GUIDES
    iFixIt guide on how to replace the RAM in 15" Aluminium MacBook Pros
    Apple DIY guide on replacing RAM for all Aluminium MacBook Pros

WHERE TO BUY RAM
    MacSales (OWC) - Memory Upgrade Options for Core Duo MacBook Pros
    MacSales (OWC) - Memory Upgrade Options for Core 2 Duo MacBook Pros
    Newegg - DDR2 RAM for notebooks
    Newegg - DDR2 RAM for Apple notebooks

I will study this further as time allows. Thank you again.

11. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

You'll notice a big difference coming from 2GB to either 4 or 6. Get the most you can to get the most life out of your 2008 MBP.

12. braindeadclown macrumors newbie

I have installed 5GB of RAM in my UniBody MacBook (NOT UniBody Pro)

1 x 4GB Stick and 1x 1GB Stick

Also upgraded HDD from 170GB (roughtly) to 1TB

Def worthwile upgrade.

See no reason why 8GB wouldn't work.

13. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Apple only supports 4GB in your Mac. It'll take 8GB just fine as others have said, just be prepared for Apple to potentially give you hassle for it if you try to either mail it into the repair depot (as they are hard-asses about that sort of thing) or take it into the Genius Bar. That said, there's no reason to at least not get yourself to 4GB.

14. MotorcycleBetty thread starter macrumors member

MotorcycleBetty

Good extra info. Thank you new responders. :)

A couple more questions.

My RAM is 200 pin. I notice (where I can find it spelled out) that all the 4GB RAM is 204 pin - is this compatible?

Also, I found that my computer is Penryn series (I was thinking it was probably Santa Rosa), and following links from links provided earlier in this thread, I see that the MBP 4,1 Penryn series can use up to 6GB. So what I'll look for is a 4GB/2GB combo or kit. After all, why install unusable RAM...

Because I don't have the luxury of being able to necessarily afford the best products, I always look for bargains. The cost for 6GB RAM found through links in this thread is around $120. Is that the best I can expect to do price wise? I'd like to cut that in half...

15. simsaladimbamba

200-pin RAM is DDR2 RAM, 204-pin RAM is DDR3 RAM, they are not compatible, due to different pin counts (200-pin vs 204-pin) and type (DDR2 vs DDR3).
    You need 200-pin DDR2 SO-DIMM (means notebook RAM) RAM.

I don't know about the rest of your questions tough, I was once able to find a 4 GB module of 200-pin DDR2 SO-DIMM RAM for 65 €. But that was at a physical store.

Newegg should have some 200-pin DDR RAM modules you can take a look at. Or scout eBay.

16. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Santa Rosa is a chipset, Penryn is a Mobile CPU. We have had Conroe ( Mobile/only Core Duo), Merom (Mobile Core 2 1st Gen), Penryn (Mobile Core 2 2nd Gen), Arrandale (Mobile Core i3/i5/i7 1st Gen), and Sandy Bridge (Mobile and Desktop Core i3/i5/i7 2nd Gen). Santa Rosa used both Merom and Penryn, and that's your superfluous history lesson of the day.

As for RAM, you avoid all mystery and hassle with all of this by simply going to crucial.com, selecting the model elf Mac you have, and buying the best memory kit they have.

17. jamojamo macrumors 6502

Did some quick checking on Newegg. 6GB will run you approx $90

18. MotorcycleBetty thread starter macrumors member

MotorcycleBetty

@jamojamo - I've been to newegg & can't find 6GB for $90 - can you provide link(s)?

@Yebubbleman - you say "selecting the model elf Mac you have" - what is "elf"?

19. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

I meant to say "of". Crucial has a very easy find-the-right-kind-of-ram-for-your-machine tool at their landing page.

20. simsaladimbamba

4 GB modules + 2 GB modules is the way to go. Make sure to select the same brand.

21. MotorcycleBetty thread starter macrumors member

MotorcycleBetty

@Yebubbleman - yes, crucial.com has a very friendly site (I'm bookmarking it), and I found this: http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=FF1F93F9A5CA7304 which is only 4GB, but is what they will guarantee is compatible with my machine. And at $60, this seems to be the best choice thus far. (oh, and thanks for the superfluous history lesson!)

@simsaladimbamba - I also found 4GB & 2GB products at newegg similar to what is shown on your search results. But if you will notice, the prices are much higher than the total of $90 for all 6GB that @jamojamo quoted, which is why I asked for the direct links.

22. Arkious macrumors 6502a

Arkious

many will say use samsung, hynix as they are the 'apple standard' or maybe its crucial for the 'modder' and thats fine if you have deep pockets...

but i thought i would try komputerbays 8GB RAM (2x4GB) as it cost a very small £26 including delivery from Amazon. And honestly my iMac is sooooooo much better with it, i thought for £26 i dont mind the extra hassle of either selling it if it dont work properly or sending it back. But ive had it for 2 months now and had a lot of use... absolutly solid stuff :)

dont get it from ebay, get it from amazon

23. MotorcycleBetty thread starter macrumors member

MotorcycleBetty

4GB (2x2). 200 pin DDR2 PC2-5300. Crucial. $53. Amazon. Done.

Thank you to everyone who helped me find the info I needed to make a decision. Your assistance is appreciated.