Resolved 8GB Registered Memory?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by alphaod, Jun 30, 2014.

1. alphaod, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014

alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm looking to upgrade my new Mac Pro. It comes with 16GB of RAM and that's not enough. I'm will definitely be doubling it to 32GB. I see they sell 8GB sticks in both unbuffered and registered varieties.

I don't need 64GB, so I would think going there right now wouldn't be good value.

Obviously I would upgrade to the 16GB stuff in the future and since I need registered sticks in those, would it be in my best interest to get registered 8GB sticks now?

So in future I would have 48GB (2x16GB + 2x8GB) which is more than sufficient.

Instead of whether or not the 8GB registered memory works, would I have issues with performance?

EDIT: Oh, why do I bother asking this. I'll just get the 64GB and don't worry about this anymore. It's only like $540.

2. joelypolly macrumors 6502

3. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Yes, It's easy to get cheap items from Taobao.

Did you ever try this store, is it reliable?

4. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

I already got the 4x16GB modules. It's working great.

As for the one you posted, it's got a clip on heatspreader; not sure it would work in the Mac Pro due to clearance issues.

As for Taobao... it's only good if you have a credit card, and they don't really issue credit cards to foreigners ;)

But I was able to get a friend to buy the set for me.