Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

operator207

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
I would snap that thing off. I tend to do that, I am clumsy. I had to buy one with a retractable port. I broke 3 before I found one that was retractable. I would always break it where the plug attaches to the memory stick itself.

It is cool though.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
You mean the thumb drive I have had for a few months now, it is quite an old thumb drive by now.

In terms of mac compatible on my MB it gets hot and is quite slow however on the uni dells it is way faster and cooler. I guess it is crappy hardware in the MB that causes this.

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
can anyone explain why there is 8gb of memory that size, and Apple just can't stick 4 of those in an iPhone?

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
can anyone explain why there is 8gb of memory that size, and Apple just can't stick 4 of those in an iPhone?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you would require a completely different infrastructure to link these things together seamlessly. A single 32GB slice of memory is much more expensive than four 8 GB slices. That said, the 8GB iPhone uses something very similar to this. I once dismantled an old iPod nano and found the Samsung NAND chip. It was about as big as the first section of my pinky finger, from the tip to the first knuckle.

Infrastructure is the same reason why we can't just jam together a bunch of cheap flash memory to have inexpensive solid state storage in computers. I'm pretty sure the flash memory used in 32GB iPod touches can be used, however (in Macs at least, since it's HFS+ formatted), but then you'd have several separate 32GB drives/partitions.

I know it's a very simple explanation but I really don't know much about it. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.