8gb Touch Won't Turn On

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Link2999, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Link2999 macrumors 6502

After about 30mins, the Touch still won't turn on. It gets to the boot screen and after about 5-10mins, the iPod will restart itself and try to start itself again. The Touch won't connect to iTunes and the manual restore mode didn't seem to work. Now I'm trying to drain the battery overnight to see if that helps. If all else fails should go to the genius bar and get a replacement? Or is there a fix? I'll update the topic tomorrow.

2. asskick3r macrumors regular

asskick3r

Was there a cause to this? like maybe a failed jailbreak? Or what?
    If it was ever jailbroken or attempted to be jailbroken it means the software is messed up.
    But don't worry. There is this mode called DFU mode.
    No it's not Restore mode.
    1. Hold both buttons, like you would to get into restore mode, for 10 seconds.
    2. After counting to 10.... release the Sleep/wake button ONLY. But keep holding on to the home button.
    3. Itunes will recognize your device... but the iPods screen will be black.
    4. Restore to whatever FW higher or equal to your previous one.

If that doesn't work... and it has never, ever been jailbroken.... then you could exchange it for a new one.

Hope this helps!

3. Link2999 thread starter macrumors 6502

Meh. Not working, iTunes won't recognize the iPod (Won't even pop up as 'iPod'), and Draining the battery didn't help either. The only screens I can get to now are the drained battery screen and boot screen. The iPod is Jailbroken, but I'm guessing I'll exchange it anyways and take the chance. (If they can't turn it on either there's no way of knowing it was jailbroken)

4. iOrlando macrumors 68000

they'll know. They usually dont say..hmm this isnt working..heres a new ipod. have a great day.

ladies and gentlemen we have a brick.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You don't really sound like you want help (so I don't know why you're posting), but are you sure you entered DFU mode correctly? If you don't get the DFU screen on the iPod, what does it do when you follow the process? The iPod is not supposed to pop up as an iPod in iTunes if it's in DFU mode. And while it does seem like it's possible to brick the touch, unlike the iPhone, it isn't that easy.

6. Link2999 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was posting to see if I missed anything. Anyways, I brought it back jailbroken. They gave me a new one since they couldn't get it working either.

7. Jel20 macrumors newbie

asskick3r was on point!

So my ipod touch was jailbroken and i tried to manually restore it, and after that didn't work i found this site. You have to plug your ipod to the computer, and after letting go of the Sleep button, still hold the Home button for another 10 seconds, and your computer will recognize it, but it'll take another few seconds before your itunes does. Trust me, cuz i was scared crazy since i actually bought my ipod. thank you asskick3r :)