8gb vs 16gb Conundrum

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by XT9116, Oct 20, 2010.

1. XT9116 macrumors newbie

So I remember reading the reason why Apple has 8gb Touch instead of 16gb and it is (from my memory) a issue of supply.

Now if that is incorrect I would like to know, but I have an issue with that if it is correct.

I think Apple orders plenty of 16gb flash drives, because there is a 16gb nano, the base model of the iPad is 16gb, and the base iPhone 4 is 16gb. I don't know the actual numbers but I can easily say that the 16gb iPhone outsells the 32 and I would only imagine that the 16gb iPad outsells many 32 and for sure the 64.

Apple has plenty of 16gb drives and I am confused why they continue to keep the 8gb touch?

2. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

Apple has to maintain an entry level device for each of its lines, and so far, the 8 GB iPod touch has been the rock of the iPod touch line. It presents a baseline that can remain widely separated in price from the next highest model (making it appear to be a better value for those who want to pay as little as possible for an iPod) without raising manufacturing costs. At all.

Yes, a 16 GB nano is available, but is it standard? No.

Yes, the base iPad is 16 GB, but is it widely separated in price from the iPad 32 GB? Yes. Is it cheaper for Apple to make? Yes.

Is it logical for Apple to make the base iPod touch 16GB? No. If they don't have to spend the money to sell the product when they offer considerably better alternatives, they will. This wedging of price and value eliminates the middle consumer, forcing them to buy a higher model. Great for Apple, Not bad for us.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Apple wants to have a low priced entry point.