Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I'm tempted to buy a rMBP, although with my uses, I don't know if I want to put out another $200 for 8gb of extra RAM. My primary uses....
School work (college)
Web browsing
Photoshop
Gaming on Windows 7 via Boot Camp or VMWare
I know I don't need more than 256gb, and can always get an external drive if I run out of space. Those are my main uses of the laptop, with some more here and there. I'm tempted to wait for the 2013 rMBP without the IR but not sure if it's even going to be released in 2013. Nonetheless, suggestions?

Ricanlegend

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Bronx,Ny
If you NEED a computer now 8gb ram sounds perfect for what you describe. If you can wait get next year version haswell should be better and the hd4000 should improve with the next upgrade

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
If you NEED a computer now 8gb ram sounds perfect for what you describe. If you can wait get next year version haswell should be better and the hd4000 should improve with the next upgrade

Do you think it'll actually come out next year though? If it's just 6 months, I could probably wait it out. Would just buy the current one if the next rMBP is scheduled for 2014 though.

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2012
Get the 8gb...

The only reason someone needs 16gb is if you are an extremely advanced user with certain programs or running multiple VMs for long periods of time.

Ricanlegend

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Bronx,Ny
Haswell should come out in June and apple always updates around that same time And you always have to remember the second version of a product will always be better as people reports bug like image retention
Do you think it'll actually come out next year though? If it's just 6 months, I could probably wait it out. Would just buy the current one if the next rMBP is scheduled for 2014 though.

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
Get the 8gb...

The only reason someone needs 16gb is if you are an extremely advanced user with certain programs or running multiple VMs for long periods of time.

Moderate VM usage can eat through 8GB fairly quickly as 4GB per side doesn't leave a lot of headroom to avoid pageouts. If you plan on using a VM, 16GB is a good idea.

$200? Get it from crucial.com 8G $48 and 16G $81

The above only applies to the cMBP, you have to buy your upgrades from Apple, which is one of the major downsides of the rMBP line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.