Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abeyk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2006
Houston, TX
So i'm getting a new iPod, but I don't know wich one. the 8gig nano is the same price as the 30 gig video iPod. I'm personally not interested in video so for audio playback only, which iPod is best?? :confused:

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Video iPod: Can play video & games. Much more storage. Larger Screen.

iPod Nano: Metal enclosure, compatible with Nike+, flash memory (better for running).

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I've thought this one over myself(not because I want either, as I'd rather a 4Gb Nano, because I don't need 8Gbs for songs(can just fit on a 4Gb Nano), and I like colors, and I have a 60Gb to cover my video needs) On to you

The 8Gb Nano is not a bad deal..the old Nano and Minis were 4Gbs-6Gb for 250, so if Apple had left the 30Gb at 300, the 8Gb Nano would look nicer, but one can have 22Gbs more for the same price, why not?

The Nano does beat out the 5G in more then one place
Nano-Harder to scratch, Flash Memory(not skipiing when you move or the Nano moves) Longer battery life. Much Smaller

The 30Gb 5G-Has Vidoe and Games(you might want it one day) and the screen it much bigger. You have 22Gbs more. You can back up important things on your 5G, while your 8Gb on a Nano might be used up faster.

How many songs do you have? If your nearing 8Gbs i'd say go for the 5G, but if you only have 500-1000, and its been like that for a while , the 8Gb might be better, because the 22Gbs on your Video would get wasted

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
zap2 said:
I've thought this one over myself(not because I want either, as I'd rather a 4Gb Nano, because I don't need 8Gbs for songs(can just fit on a 4Gb Nano), and I like colors, and I have a 60Gb to cover my video needs) On to you

The 8Gb Nano is not a bad deal..the old Nano and Minis were 4Gbs-6Gb for 250, so if Apple had left the 30Gb at 300, the 8Gb Nano would look nicer, but one can have 22Gbs more for the same price, why not?

The Nano does beat out the 5G in more then one place
Nano-Harder to scratch, Flash Memory(not skipiing when you move or the Nano moves) Longer battery life. Much Smaller

The 30Gb 5G-Has Vidoe and Games(you might want it one day) and the screen it much bigger. You have 22Gbs more. You can back up important things on your 5G, while your 8Gb on a Nano might be used up faster.

How many songs do you have? If your nearing 8Gbs i'd say go for the 5G, but if you only have 500-1000, and its been like that for a while , the 8Gb might be better, because the 22Gbs on your Video would get wasted

Yeah the Nano seems like a great device to abuse and take everywhere with you, resistant, flash, long battery life and being small helps and 8GB is very decent, then again the iPod does have the videos and bigger screen, I went with a 30GB iPod the first time around, its nice but it gets TOO scratched, its ridiculous, I have like 10000 songs but I only really need place to store 1000-2000, but videos are nice and so are games... hmm...

Tough choice, personally I went with iPod back in 2005 but with the new nano the decision is tight... I say nano though... in the end 8GB is all you need, 2000 songs is more than enough, sure I have like 10000 but I could very easily do with 2000, I'm thinking of getting a 2G Nano an retiring my video ipod and use it as backup disc or to listen to music on the machines where I don't have any songs or whatever.

So yeah, I say nano.

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
If I could only have one, I would go with the 30GB Video. Much more HD space, nice big screen, etc. The Nano is nice to have for traveling light, but it doesn't come close to hold all of my songs, so I wouldn't love it as my only iPod.

Bru5ter

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2006
Brisbane Australia
How about buying an MP3 player that plays music, and not wasting money on a tiny little bloody screen that will drive you nuts.

By a seperate DVD player

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
If either:
1. You're going to watch videos (you've already said you won't)
2. You have 7+ GB of music
Then get the video ipod.

If neither of the above applies to you, the size and flash memory of the nano make it the better buy.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
luckylisp said:
They lowered the price again? Wow, that's seriously awesome.

A $300 iPod, refurb, was $200. So a $250 iPod, refurb, is now $179. Makes sense. Cool.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
i think the refurb ipods are a fantastic steal! i would have gotten one but my needs are for ultra-portability and reliability, so no hard drive. i got the 8GB nano, which is pretty sweet. i take my macbook around with me almost everywhere so i don't really need video or 80GB of storage...

abeyk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2006
Houston, TX
Nano

Thanks guys!!

So after a couple of days of thinking about it, I realize that the nano is the one for me. I got about 6 to 7 gigs of music, scratches make me crazy, and battery life is great. thanks for the help!! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.