8gig Touch Capacity Issue

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jamiejrwilson, Dec 4, 2008.

1. jamiejrwilson macrumors newbie

Hi, I have an Ipod Touch 8gig, with the latest 2.2 update installed. When I go into the device and look at the info the ipod has on it it has 161.2mb of songs. 296.6mb of video and NEARLY 3.3GB of OTHER what on earth is other??? It is taking up half my memory, what could it be and how can I fix it? Has anyone else had this problem?
    cheers
    Jamie

2. therealdt macrumors regular

I would say apps. How apps you have? What about mail? What about Pics?

No I haven't had that problem.

3. jamiejrwilson thread starter macrumors newbie

i only have 3 small apps but could be e-mails and contacts etc! i'll delete them, nice one!!!

4. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I don't think contacts would take 3.3GB of data. Perhaps your iPod could use a restore. It will take maybe an hour, but if there are 3.3GB of "mystery" files, that should take them off (it depends on whether the iPod's drive is formatted and cleared during the restore).

My guess as to the data's origin is that they are some sort of diagnostic or other apple software left over from the factory where it was built.

5. MACoconut macrumors regular

probably the cache data left over by safari?

or files downloaded by email? :eek:

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Do a restore. I've had this happen to my iPhone, and restoring has always fixed it.

7. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

do you have anything like airshare installed? i have about 2 gigs of data stored with that. it showed as other, but when i synced my ipod again it switched to apps

8. nightbeaver macrumors newbie

its the apps i think

same thing happened to my ipod touche when i initially installed the new firmware. another issue i have been having is itunes tries reinstall all of my apps when i sync sometimes. i thiink some minor compatibility issues that apps designed for 2.0 or 2.1 firmaware have with 2.2 firmware that cause them to not be registered in your itunes library so they show up as other files. this is just wild guess i have no idea what the problem really is but its most likely your apps that take up that space

9. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

That's a lot of unknown data lol. Is it jailbroken? Because when you jailbreak there is an option of increasing the partition size.