8gm Ram and VM? Necessary?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by peapody, Jul 17, 2010.

1. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Hi all,

I am in the position of getting 2x4gb ram for a good price. It's going to be a 3rd party brand - Hynix, which I have had good experiences with in the past. I have windows 7 32bit running in VMware Fusion, because I have not been able to bootcamp for some reason (hangs on installation).

Anyways, I have been using photoshop 7 in my virtual environment because my mac side is on the fritz. I just noticed on CHOPPPY and slow it is! Will 8gb or ram rectify my problem? I dedicate 2gb of my ram to the VM, but its still choppy and slow. How much do I need to dedicate?

I guess the questions are
    1. Are there huge differences between namebrands and 3rd party ram?
    2. Is 8gb of hynix worth it for $150?
    3. How much ram should I allocate to VM?

Thanks if anyone has answers!

2. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Yeah vmfusion pretty much requirese 8gigs of memory.

No there isn't much difference between brands for ram.

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Apple have sometimes used Hynix, so I won't question the quality.
    VM will never be as fast as bootcamp/macos.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That is a pretty sweet deal, so I think I would go for it. But it seems like 2GB really should be enough for the VM, although photoshop sucks up some serious memory. As far as dedicating memory to it, go with 3 gigs, which is basically as much as the 32-bit OS can see.

5. mdatwood macrumors 6502a

Have you every thought that maybe since your 'mac side is on the fritz' that it's causing problems with your VM also? I do .net development in a win7 VM and only have 4GB of ram and things work fine. 8GB would be nice and I certainly wouldn't pass it up, but it sounds your computer is having other problems you might want to figure out.

6. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly