8mb files being created continuously in sparsebundle 'bands' folder every 10 seconds

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fredjak1, Nov 26, 2013.

1. fredjak1 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Total OS X novice here who due to having a passable knowledge of (whisper it...) Windows troubleshooting has been handed the task of trying to find out what's going on with a friend's Macbook.

It's had trouble starting applications and even starting up at all recently, often saying something about the disk being full.

Now, applying my knowledge of Windows OS troubleshooting (I know, I know) and searching relevant stuff for OS X I have discovered that there is a thing in a hidden user file called 'sparse bundle' that continues to balloon in size in at an alarming rate and is taking up what seems a bizarre amount of space.

Despite reading about sparsbundle sizes often being huge, the behaviour of this one does seem unusual. I may be proven wrong.

Ok, I have little understanding of how OS X works so be gentle with me, but having unhidden all system files and spent a few hours going through the folders trying to fin out where the space had gone I have discovered that in the 'Bands' folder withinin the admin User's 'sparsebundle' file a new file is being created on average every 10 or so seconds which is 8.4 MB in size. That's potentially almost 3 GB of disk space an hour being filled.

This seems to be why the issues are present the HD space: the 'Bands' folder had over 175GB woth of these files when I stumbled upon it.

These files date as far back as 2011 but for some reason have begun to be created far more frequently in the last few weeks. Throwing caution to the wind I deleted a whole load of the older ones freeing up 150GB of space but it's rapidly filling up again!

I may be wrong but having left the 'Bands' folder open while using the Macbook it seems that these files are nearly exclusively created when the Macbook isactually being used. When idle the frequency with which these files are created drops right off.

One thing that may be relevant is that I cannot access FileVault. I was trying to turn it off but having entered the Admin password I get the message 'system preferences quit unexpectedly'.

I've completed a Disk Repair using the Installation Disk whic has made no difference.

So, my questions are:

- Is this normal behaviour within the Bands folder of a sparsebundle file?
    - If so what application might be doing this?
    - Can it be disabled?
    - If not, what might be causing this?

Oh, it's running OS X 10.6.8

Again, my apologies for what may be a vague technical query but it's all Japanese to me and any guidance would be much appreciated.

Yours in hope...

2. mfram macrumors 65816

What's the name of the sparsebundle folder? Sparsebundles are normally used as disk image files. Are you using some kind of virtual machine program like Parallels or VMWare? The name of the sparsebundle should give a clue what it's for.

The "bands" are normal files for a sparsebundle. The question is, what the bundle is being used for?