8mm iMovie 6.0 import 20 minute limit per clip

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by robemich, Jul 2, 2007.

1. robemich macrumors member

DCR-TRV520
    iMovie HD 6.0
    8mm analog tape (LP)

I am using the VTR function of the camera to import older 8mm tapes into iMovie. I normally use Digital8 tapes in this camera, and this is my first experience with something that was filmed 8mm analog.

The footage is imported, but iMovie stops the import at exactly 19:54 per clip. I can hit import again, and it picks right back up where it stopped, but 19:54 later the import process stops again. The clip file size is right around 4GB.

I do not have this problem with the camera when I import Digital8 tapes, and I have never encountered this issue with MiniDV tapes either.

Am I missing a setting in the camera or iMovie?

-mike

2. Lebowski macrumors 6502

i think there is a setting to limit capture to a certain time or file size.... not sure though, havent used imovie in years.

3. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Capturing to an external drive? FAT32?

If so, that's your problem.

4. robemich thread starter macrumors member

Yup. I am capturing to an external FW connected drive. Can you please be more specific as to why this problem occurs? I am pretty sure the drive is formatted HFS+.

I will try capturing to a local disk when I get home tonight, and then transfer the iMovie project to the external.

-mike

5. Peel macrumors 6502a

Peel

The fat32 file system has a maximum file size of 4GB, so would explain why it stops capturing at the 4GB mark. In the digital-8 files you've imported, is the file size greater than 4GB, and were they imported to the same drive? If so, that's clearly not your problem then. But you can check this by looking at the disk in Disk Utility.

In iMovie's preferences under the import tab there's an option to limit import to a set time limit. Make sure that's turned off.

6. robemich thread starter macrumors member

When I get home, I need to double check and make sure the external drive is not setup for FAT32. I am almost positive it was setup for HFS+, but I will check that. I also will try to capture to an internal drive and see if the problem goes away.

The option to control import size through iMovie has been unchecked.

I totally understand the 4GB limit with FAT32. I will let you all know what I find.

-mike

7. robemich thread starter macrumors member

Solution Delivered

I found the external drive was formatted FAT32. I reformatted it HFS+ and I am now capturing to it without any problems.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I always appreciate your help.

-mike