8mm Reel-Reel Conversion

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Freis968, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

Anyone have this done lately and that can recommend a company that does a good job at a fair price?

2. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

I too am looking into 8mm film conversion. I've been doing some research on the internet over the last few days, and found this place:

http://www.videoconversionexperts.com/

They seem to be a little on the pricey side, but it looks like they do quality work. They detail their entire film conversion process and even offer some example shots. Also, a lot of film conversion sites out there seem unprofessional, while this one seems great.

If I get enough money in the near future, I think I'll give them a go.

3. Freis968 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Freis968

Thanks for that! With my 60 reels of 3" tape and the options I want it would cost me close to $900.00!

I found a place similar that was cheaper by about $500.00. If I find the link I will share it with you. I was seeing if anyone had any "concrete" work done already and could recommend a place.

4. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

The best way and most expensive is to use , I think its called "telecine" equipment. Basically they scan each frame and assemble at correct frame rate.

I, being cheap, did a poor mans conversion.
    I used a projector, a very white sheet of paper and a miniDV camcorder.
    I projected onto the white paper on a wall, used the camcorder to record the film. One big issue is that the movie film is at 16 to 18 frames per second. So I varied the projector speed to minimize strobing. Then used FCE to correct the speed.
    Results were acceptable.

5. Freis968 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Freis968

I was going to do this as well although you were a little more fancy in your method than I was going to get. I was just going to film it using my DV camcorder as well, not doing all the speed correction, etc.

Did you do any kind of restoration work at all?

6. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I did some color correction in FCE.

7. misterpasta macrumors member

8mm Conversion try this first

Costco. yes Costco will convert 8mm to DVD. Three 3-minute reels for just $20. I tried it and my movies from the 1970's came out very very well.

I would give them a few tapes and see how they come out before sending to a high-end processing lab.

Note a 3-minute reel is 50 feet.

8. Freis968 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Freis968

Will they only convert it to DVD? You cannot have them save it onto a hard drive? I want to do some editing of the footage.