8mm Transfer to mac

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by flyingnome, Jan 18, 2009.

1. flyingnome macrumors newbie

I need to find out what type of adapter to use to transfer my 8mm video tapes to my MacBook.
    Thanks

2. MrLatte23 macrumors regular

AV to DV converter...

You'll need something to convert the analog video &vaudio output to digital, like a DV camcorder that will pass thru the signal to firewire for your computer. If you go this route you'll need probably a mini AV cable to connect the two camcorders and a firewire cable on the other side.

Without knowing what you have to work with, that's as specific as I can be.

3. -DH macrumors 65816

As MrLatte23 already stated, you'll need a playback device VTR or camcorder) that can handle 8mm tape format. If you can rent or borrow one of the Sony Digital 8 camcorders, they'll be able to playback 8mm and Hi8 tapes and output via their Firewire (iLink) port so you can connect directly to your Mac.

-DH

4. flyingnome thread starter macrumors newbie

Details

Sorry bout not putting in my equipment. I have a SOny Hi 8 8mm camcorder. Nothing digital I don't think. could you explain how to hook in to a DV camera to do this. I have Digital camera, not video would this work?

5. MrLatte23 macrumors regular

Stil camera won't work...

The Sony DIGITAL 8mm camcorder as -DH mentioned would be the best one-step solution. Otherwise a stand-alone AV/DV converter such as a Canopus could be used. Most if not all options involve firewire so hopefully you don't have a new Macbook without Firewire.