8mp Camera concerns

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kmanmx, Sep 21, 2011.

1. kmanmx macrumors 6502

I'm really concerned apple are jumping on this megapixel hype. Steve himself said megapixels arn't whats really important, it's the size of the pixels and the amount of photons they capture.

But with an 8mp camera, and what is likely to be an even thinner design, it seems unlikely they will be able to retain the pixel size. And thus the gain in resolution will be nullified by worse light gathering abilities, amongst other problems.

I'd much rather they keep the 5MP snapper and just enable 1080p video capture than update it to a mediocre 8mp sensor with inferior capabilities.

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I was worried about this as well but I have faith in Apple to make their products better year by year. I wouldn't expect them to use a "mediocre 8mp sensor." Can you think of a single feature that they have upgraded and have actually made worse in a newer version of the iPhone? I cant...

If all else fails you can always go with a Samsung phone (amazing camera as well).

3. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Apple always come through, don't worry :)

4. matt94gt macrumors member

spammer!!!

I agree they will make it better...have faith in :apple:

5. Polekat macrumors regular

Polekat

My concern with an 8mp camera is the increased image size (fill up storage quick) and I'd never be able to send one via MMS on EDGE

6. spikefood macrumors regular

Any time you send an MMS on edge it will take forever, its because your on edge. I would expect over 90% of people now a days are on 3g. Edge is an old forgotten technology.

7. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Well.. didn't we get a sneak peak at what the 8MP camera pictures look like a few weeks back? ;)

I wouldn't worry about it. The camera on the iPhone 4 is fantastic. (Well, I don't know anything about the camera, but the pictures it takes are fantastic). I highly doubt they would backtrack to a lesser camera quality than the iPhone 4.

8. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Of course Steve said that, becasue he was getting greif about the camera they were using.

Just like the speach he maid about the antenna issue on the iphone 4. It's all just media speal.

You got to have faith? lol. If :apple: believes they can get away with a slightly cheaper and inferior camera they will do it. They weigh up the markets expectations, against cost to calculate a bottom line.

More likely the phone will just let you down size the image before it's sent anyhow.

9. kmanmx thread starter macrumors 6502

So anyone that even remotely doesn't like the specs in considered a spammer on these forums ? :confused:

I want apple to pull the next iPhone out of the bag as much of the next guy. But physics tells me 8mp in a smaller space is not as good as 5mp in a larger space.

And space is something very, very valuable to Apple. I'd say its a pretty safe bet that product aesthetics are more important than camera quality to apple.

But i hope you're all right, i'd love them to fit it with a fantastic snapper - and i kind of a have a small feeling they will pull it off :) But i'm still worried !

Yes, but he is also totally correct.

10. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-gb; GT-I9100 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Just set it to a lower MP count if storage space is your concern.

11. Savor Suspended

Savor

Sony will be providing the camera module this year over Omnivision. Have more faith in them.

12. ap3604 macrumors 68000

The moderators took the post down but there was a jewlery/watch spammer above his post. He wasn't talking to you kmanmx ;)

13. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I use the Galaxy S2 with a 8 mp camera and the quality is simply outstanding. Looks great even full screen on my iMac. Just hope they use a camera that focuses and not one with a fixed focus like the new Blackberrys

----------

You iPhone 5 would not even let you send a 8mp image. It will optimize the image before it sends it via MMS. 8MP would take 30 minutes on EDGE and your carrier would not allow it even on 3G

14. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

the only problem I have with the iphone camera is that under fluorescent light it gives an ugly ass pink vignette with the blue center :confused: but i could see why theyre making the jump its just more appealing i bet the majority of people think that megapixels > sensor size

15. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I doubt Apple would include an inferior camera, if they do the tech sites would be all over it. I am sure they will improve the camera as they have with every other generation.

16. kmanmx thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes your right.

Taking a picture of something white in artificial light has that aweful effect.

17. Polekat macrumors regular

Polekat

Yes it is, unfortunately it's all ATT offers in my area

18. Robby S macrumors member

To be honest, I gave up actively chasing MP once they got past 2. Fair enough, I don't go manipulating photos or zoom in too much, but that's still 1920 x 1080 pixels worth of image - more than enough for a typical print, enough fill my TV screen, and is larger than most digital photo frames. I'd rather have fewer dots and more light hitting each one, using advances in tech to improve the lenses and overall image quality, but I guess people are only able to understand numbers, and assume bigger must be better, right?! ;)

19. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Unless your somewhere that only has Edge. Like when I'm driving through new England to Mt Washington... LOTS of Edge.