Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
It looks like there is if elbow connectors are used or if I use my own mountable connector caps - like Apple itself is using on that backplane brace bar thingy. :D

I'll know more when I get into it.
I've seen plenty of RT. angle SATA cables (data). Power would be a little harder, but there's a connector type (Insulation Displacement) that is meant to be pressed into a 5 lead ribbon (18AWG). Two covers are available; one allows you to terminate the end of the wiring, while the other allows you to place it in the middle (feed through). You should be able to use 4 wires, unless you do want to run the staggered spin up line. (I'll have to hunt for the parts, so hopefully, I can find them. The one's I have on hand aren't marked).

So doable I think. :D

Found them:
IDT Interconnect
IDT Feed Through Cover
IDT Recepticle to Feed

I didn't see anything like these for backplane connectors. :(

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Sweet! I'll probably get them locally but those have the CAD files so I can test without getting physical at all. Thanks man!

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
I plan on using 1 drive as a scratch disk, 1 for imported clips, and 1 for finished projects. I edit in HD and I film ALOT so i need the space.

Hello,

To get back on your topic: I don't know why nobody posted about this earlier, but you should seriously consider a RAID0 option. It would dramatically speed up your scratch (and "imported clips" read/writes).

I know Tesselator has some interesting graphs in here somewhere, and for video edit, a ~3X increase in disk speed is always welcome.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Sweet! I'll probably get them locally but those have the CAD files so I can test without getting physical at all. Thanks man!
Molex, Amphenol, and Tyco are awesome for that. :D

Over here, small quantities are best picked up at DigiKey, Allied Electronics, or Mouser. Allied is the US branch of Farnell, which I assume you're very familiar with. ;) :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.