Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's entry-level iPad stocks are running low at retail stores and online, indicating an update to Apple's most affordable iPad could be in the offing and may even arrive as soon as this month.

8th-gen-iPad-low-stock-feature-1.jpg

Shipping times for the eighth-generation iPad have slipped into October with three to six week wait times, or are "currently unavailable" in the United States and other online markets, including China, Japan, and some countries in Europe.

With regard to the delays, Bloomberg journalist Mark Gurman says Apple has told retail employees "not to speculate why to consumers." Gurman adds: "Any guesses why?"

Gurman is alluding to rumors that Apple is near to launching a ninth-generation low-cost a 10.5-inch iPad with an updated A-series chip. The display size is expected to remain the same at 10.2 inches, but it is said to be thinner at 6.3mm, with a lighter overall design.

The tablet is rumored to include 4GB RAM with a Touch ID Home button and Lightning port. As with past versions of the iPad, it will be aimed at students and those looking for an affordable tablet option.

Apple's seventh-generation and eighth-generation iPad models were both introduced at September events, and another one is right round the corner. Apple on Tuesday sent out invites to a "California Streaming" event on Tuesday, September 14, where it plans to debut the new iPhone 13 lineup, an Apple Watch Series 7, and possibly new AirPods.

Apple is also rumored to be working on a redesigned iPad mini, but that device is not expected to feature at next week's event. Apple is expected to hold multiple events in the remainder of this year, so we could see it in October or November instead.

Article Link: 8th-Generation iPad Stocks Running Low Ahead of Next Week's Apple Event

Last edited:

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
If it feels much less cheaper than the 8th generation iPad, I will snatch one up. If it feels as flimsy and bulky as the previous model though, then it will be an iPad Air instead.

Reactions: Agit21

Joe_

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2020
United States
All Apple Fall Products:

iPhone 13 Series
iPhone 13 Pro Series
iPad (9th Generation)
iPad mini (6th Generation)
Apple Watch Series 7
M1X MacBook Pro models
AirPods 3rd (Generation)

 products are getting cut for sure.
Maybe a October / November  Event?

Last edited:

Serban55

macrumors 68000
Oct 18, 2020
All Apple Fall Products:

iPhone 13 Series
iPhone 13 Pro Series
iPad (9th Generation)
iPad mini (6th Generation)
Apple Watch Series 7
M1X MacBook Pro models
AirPods 3rd (Generation)

 products are getting cut for sure.
Maybe a October / November  Event?
of course
iphones apple watch and airpods in one event next week...and the others October

Reactions: Homme

Joe_

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2020
United States
of course
iphones apple watch and airpods in one event next week...and the others October
Meh, I don’t feel for these stretched out events but the media coverage / attention would be clashing for each product… so I can understand why Apple wants to stretch everything out I guess… /:

Serban55

macrumors 68000
Oct 18, 2020
Meh, I don’t feel for these stretched out events but the media coverage / attention would be clashing for each product… so I can understand why Apple wants to stretch everything out I guess… /:
since they are digital events, they can do 1 hour 2 events easy...last year were 3 events and so on
They need/want attention for a longer period of time...so starting with September and ending with December is the way to go...and after December till March when we can get another spring event for the bigger redesign iMac and macbook air is a short period of time, and from March to June WWDC a little bit more and so on...this way Apple can keep the attention for tech industry for almost all year

LFC2020

Contributor
Apr 4, 2020
since they are digital events, they can do 1 hour 2 events easy...last year were 3 events and so on
They need/want attention for a longer period of time...so starting with September and ending with December is the way to go...and after December till March when we can get another spring event for the bigger redesign iMac and macbook air is a short period of time, and from March to June WWDC a little bit more and so on...this way Apple can keep the attention for tech industry for almost all year
The more events we have, the better, Netflix has been horrible lately 🤦‍♂️🤮😂

Bladery

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
Does that actually mean when I order it now with shipping times in October, I’ll get the new version? Especially for the price of today?

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Pretty strong rumors. Updated chip AND more RAM? Not a bad year for iPad.
Slight redesign (refinement of design?) as well, but possibly the same A12 chip, just a different SKU with more RAM, that would fit in with their previous tick-tock upgrades for this model…

Reactions: TheYayAreaLiving

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Think 3 was a bit much, probably more because the iPad Air was ready last year but the iPhones weren’t. Pushing the Macs back into November made the wait feel like a real drag, and this year they already feel overdue (MBPs have historically launched in the summer, plus it’s pushing 2 years since they’ve done anything with the 16”).

2ilent8cho

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2016
For the last 18 months i've been checking the Apple Store regularly for expected delivery dates for the entry level iPads. (We have 2000 of them and had to wait a long time for some orders!) . Its been 3 to 5 weeks delivery consistently for those 18 months so i would not read too much into this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.