Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deany

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
I'm on a 50GB Mi-Fi at home and am not happy that my iphone 6 has downloaded ios 9.1 nearly 250 MB without my authority.

This uses up precious data. I always do app and software updates at a relatives house or in the office where it is 'unlimited' broadband data.
No wonder iOS iphones run the latest software. Owners have no choice!!
I have Crystal will this block apple server automatic download?
Or does anyone use:

''I use the app Weblock on all my devices to block ads, tracking, etc. I use this app's Blacklist feature to block Apple's update server (http://mesu.apple.com/*). It works great. So great that I cannot even check if there is an update available in the Settings app. Totally blocked. It very easy to turn this blocking on and off in Weblock's settings. And no, I am not the developer....'' ?

or have any advice, my iphone has storage 30 GB free.
I would prefer not to start messing with my router settings as its working so well.

thanks

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
Yep. Sucks. Just remove it from Storage. There's no way to halt automatic software update downloads.

George Waseem

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2015
Yep. Sucks. Just remove it from Storage. There's no way to halt automatic software update downloads.
To make sure iOS updates don't download automatically, turn off WiFi when you are not using it, don't check for updates if new updates show up and finally make sure you check the usage settings for few times after an update is released just to make sure It didn't get downloaded.

planetf1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
Hampshire, UK
This demonstrates the fallacy of assuming WiFi is fast/cheap and cellular isn't. In my case I have unlimited cellular data so am frustrated updates don't come through when out and about too... This op had effectively the opposite issue. Should be configurable in define which connections are metered vs unlimited

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.