Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chukwe

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
I don't think anybody will care since there is no jb for iOS 9.1 and no benefit to be on 9.1

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I don't think anybody will care since there is no jb for iOS 9.1 and no benefit to be on 9.1
Sometimes, once Apple stops signing a firmware a jailbreak may come shortly after. It's happened before which is why I brought it up.

I also brought it up so there are no "Can I downgrade questions".

YMMV.

Reactions: AppleFanatic10

rdcrds

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2014
Sometimes, once Apple stops signing a firmware a jailbreak may come shortly after. It's happened before which is why I brought it up.

YMMV.

Again there is nobody who would care about this.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
If you don't care then why do you keep trying to convince me that no one cares?

If I'm wrong and you're right what harm does it do you personally for me to be a laughingstock around here?

Reactions: dk206 and Will22

Totally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2012
West Coast = Best Coast

This post was good useful general knowledge for people about the fact that they can no longer restore to iOS 9.1. So don't generalize what you think everyone will think just cause you do. It's always useful and important to know if an iOS version is still being signed.

Even though I'm still jailbroken on iOS 7.1.2, I appreciated this post. Good information to just be cognizant of.

YMMV.

Unfortunately, I don't think this post will deter people from asking anyways. Some people are too lazy for google search.

Last edited:

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US

YMMV.
This would be unfortunate. If they release a jailbreak for 9.1 only then I'll be stuck on 9.0.2.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
This would be unfortunate. If they release a jailbreak for 9.1 only then I'll be stuck on 9.0.2.
True, but I was more meaning from those people who couldn't decide which version (9.1 or 9.2) to be on while waiting for the jailbreak.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
True, but I was more meaning from those people who couldn't decide which version (9.1 or 9.2) to be on while waiting for the jailbreak.
I see. Hasn't the general opinion been that 9.2 is a big improvement over 9.1? Or did that end when the final release dropped?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I see. Hasn't the general opinion been that 9.2 is a big improvement over 9.1? Or did that end when the final release dropped?
If you were on 9.2 and wanted to move back to 9.1 you could for a while. Why you'd want to do that, I don't know because you are correct, but the question has been asked over on reddit (about downgrading from 9.2 to 9.1).

Now that the window is closed you can only move up of course.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
What does "signed" mean in the context of iOS versions?
Signed means a digital signature. Any time you try to resinstall (restore/upgrade/downgrade) iOS, either on your phone or through iTunes there is a check that is made to Apple's servers for this signature. If the signature is not present (no longer being signed) then you are not allowed to proceed.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015
Thanks!

I thought you could backup your jail broken device and restore it if you have issues? I'm probably misunderstanding something...

Danimal1313

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2013
I wish 9.1 was still signed so I care. Apple buggered up Bluetooth in 9.2 and now when Im in my truck using Siri Eyes free, instead of going to back to the radio after I'm done, it changes the source to the music app on the phone (when I wasnt using the app or even had it open!). It did the same thing on my plantronics bluetooth headset. I end the call, it starts trying to play music over it even though the app is closed. Way to go Apple. Worked just fine in 9.1, I wish I could go back.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks!

I thought you could backup your jail broken device and restore it if you have issues? I'm probably misunderstanding something...
You can restore from a backup and stay on the same version.
You can Restore All Settings from the device and stay on the same version.
You can Restore Network Settings from the device and stay on the same version.
You can Erase All Contents and Settings and stay on the same version ON STOCK (NON JAILBROKEN) DEVICES ONLY!
You cannot restore your phone as new and still stay on the same version if it's no longer being signed.
You cannot Erase All Contents and Settings from your jailbroken device without putting your device into a bootloop. Doing so will require a DFU restore through iTunes which will force an upgrade and restore to a version of iOS currently being signed by Apple.

Hope that clears it up a bit. ;)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.