9.3.1 is great!! Changes/Updates

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by atlchamp, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. atlchamp macrumors 6502a

battery life still testing of course but the speed and smoothness over 9.3 is so noticible. This feels like a very stable and smooth release! What are you guys seeing?

2. madara889 macrumors 6502

madara889

Yes i agree with you.. 9.3.1 is the greatest version of iOS

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Realistically the only thing different in the latest update should be the Universal Link fix that's in it. I guess whether or not that fix could have other effects might be more of an open question.

4. atlchamp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have benchmark scores that prove its an improvement. That's not the only thing apple did. They included that one note just for the media to relax and back off but they did a lot more under the hood improvements.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Given the build number it's not that likely there was much more in it. But, like I said, depending on how they fixed that issue and how it was working before the fix (in comparison), there could be additional effects from it as well. And that's on top of that for some people there are sometimes weird installs that happen and when a newer version is out and the install goes well things might behave better in some respects even just from that compared to a previous install that might not have gone as well, even if it did complete and work.

6. salimar macrumors newbie

care to show the before and after screenshots of your scores?

7. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Seems like quite a claim for an update that is only 27mb or so on my 6+.

8. jtwlbz macrumors 6502a

9. atlchamp thread starter macrumors 6502a

image.png image.png
    --- Post Merged, Mar 31, 2016 ---
    Nah

10. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

So Apple released 9.3, found out about the Safari problem, put out a 25MB update as 9.3.1 to address that issue and somehow managed to squeeze in a bunch of performance changes given the time frame? Not likely.

11. atlchamp thread starter macrumors 6502a

9.3.1 was in development for longer than 2 weeks since this issue was discovered. Don't be naive

12. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

--- Post Merged, Mar 31, 2016 ---
    people need something to cling on to for when ios 10 comes around soon, for another round of "previous ios was best, current ios sucks, retiring older devices on purpose!":D

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Various ways to look at that though. Whatever 9.3.1 was might now be rebranded as 9.3.2 and a patch for this issue became 9.3.1. Or they could have had 9.3.1 in the works in relation to this issue specifically/primarily.

14. atlchamp thread starter macrumors 6502a

There are 0 signs of 9.3.2 on macrumors website. They would have talked about it if that was the case

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

They don't always talk about every single version of something that they see or don't see. That's not really proof or evidence of anything one way or another (you know what they also say about absence of evidence).

16. Armen, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016

Armen macrumors 604

Armen

If Apple was already working on iOS 9.3.1 and the Safari bug didn't exist what were the release notes going to be for 9.3.1 when it was finished since nothing but the Safari bug was mentioned in the release notes?

If what you're saying is true than the release would have been branded 9.3.2 designating 9.3.1 as the Safari fix and 9.3.2 as the other stuff you say were included in this release.

17. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

9.3 was the main performance update. You haven't provided any evidence or proof of improvements to back up your statement. Just Geekbench which has a clear margin of error each time you run it. Probably just a placebo. If there was more to the update then it most likely would say in the release notes.

18. atlchamp thread starter macrumors 6502a

There are a ton of people saying their phone feels faster. I know my phone. It's definitely faster so let's not use placebo here to justify your opinion.

19. Freakonomics101 macrumors 6502a

Freakonomics101

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

A "ton" of people say that after almost any update, just as a "ton" of people say it's slower, and another "ton" say that their battery is horrible, while another "ton" that their battery is amazing...

21. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

There are multiple pieces of evidence to support the fact that Apple hasn't made such changes. Like the fact the update is really small. If anything it's more likely your 9.3 install wasn't behaving optimally which Geekbench seems to back up.

Saying it feels faster doesn't mean it can't be a placebo. You need something that's measurable.

22. gwhizkids macrumors 68020

gwhizkids

23. atlchamp thread starter macrumors 6502a

How fluid my phone is all the evidence I need. My 9.3 was a clean install so if anything this upgrade should have slowed it down but it made it faster. And just because it's a small update doesn't mean they didn't touch anything else. Like I said. It seems like a planned PR move to show the world that Apple is on it and that they squash bugs with quick turn around time. This story was worldwide and Apple did not want to keep taking heat.

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yup, for sure, that's exactly what it is. If you hear hoofbeats zebras are the only likely and realistic conclusion.

25. RiderX macrumors regular

Yep, definitely faster. Maybe not so much on the latest devices, but my iPad mini 2 got a real speed burst.

I didn't expect that, very happy indeed!

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.