9.5" hard drive upgrade advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Richdmoore, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Richdmoore, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010

Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Hello, I my 320 GB hard drive is now getting crowded again in my macbook (Model 2,1). I am looking at 1tb hard drives, but realized that this computer will only fit 9.5mm hard drives, not the 12.5mm space that later unibody macbooks use.

My question is does anyone know if 9.5mm 1TB hard drives are going to be released in the next few months, or has the industry switched over (like apple) to making 12.5mm hard drives as the new standard? I would hate to buy a 750 gig, then find out I could have gotten a 1tb hard drive the month after......

Thanks for any info!

2. simsaladimbamba

The unit is mm, not inch ("), as one inch is 25.4mm, thus a 9,5" HDD would be 24cm high, as the 9.5mm and 12.5mm are alluding to the height of the HDD.
    The " is used when describing the diameter of the platter(s), I think.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There hasn't been any news about 1TB 9.5mm HDs. And BTW, it's millimeters, not inches as 9.5" HD would be 228.8mm :p I would just get 750GB now, 1TB will likely cost more per GB than 750GB when it comes

4. Richdmoore thread starter macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Sorry, I will correct my post to mm not inches. :)

Migrating shouldn't be a problem on the mac side, but I also have a windows 7 bootcamp, I am already dreading reinstalling windows so the biggest hard drive that will fit should be worth the extra cost per MB....

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Search for WinClone. Some have success with it.