Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reactivate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2012
Hi All,

I bought a 500GB Hitachi 5K500.B to replace the 120GB Toshiba drive in my 2006 1st Gen Macbook and for some reason it doesn't fit.

This drive is listed as compatible and is 9.5mm in height (confirmed on the Hitachi site and also putting the 2 drives side by side) so it should fit.

When I attempt to slide the drive into the bay there is something preventing it for going in fully. I can't determine what. All the search results via Google say this drive is fine to use.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

iDutchman

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2010
Amsterdam, NL
Your MacBook came with a sort of enclosure surrounding the original Hard drive held together with 4 torx screws. Do you still have that?

If not, try to remove the rubber bands that are located within the slot. These may keep the new HD from actually sliding all the way in.

Also make sure you slide it in the right way. This may seem obvious, but the SATA connection is on the upper end of the slot (so as far from the bottom of the MacBook as possible)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.