Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
How can the 10.2 inch iPad, 10.5 inch iPad and 10.9 inch and 11 inch iPad be the same size?

Looking at the iPad side by side? Only the display screen is bigger but the form factor on the 9.7 inch iPad, 10.2 inch iPad, 10.5 inch iPad and 10.9 and 11 inch iPad is the same form factor in size.

Picture of different iPad side by side.

The 9.7 inch form factor is just little bit smaller but hardly noticeable by much when you look at the sizes of all three.

I thought the 10.9 inch and 11 inch iPad was bigger than the 10.2 inch iPad but the form factor is the same only the display screen is bigger.

It seems Apple is keeping the same form factor but changing the bezels giving bigger display screen but keeping the same form factor.

If that the case future iPad may look like this https://www.applegazette.com/wp-content/uploads/macmag-550x285.jpg

But with very little to no bezels how do you hold it?

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
What is surprising about less bezels = more screen?
How do you hold it? Simply by the screen, as long as hand rejection is implemented well (it is on iPad, it is not, at all, on Samsung / Microsoft tablets)

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
@Bubble99 — Traditionally phones, tablets, TVs, notebook computers etc. have been described by their screen size, not the size of the unit. This has been industry standard for a long time.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
How can the 10.2 inch iPad, 10.5 inch iPad and 10.9 inch and 11 inch iPad be the same size?

Looking at the iPad side by side? Only the display screen is bigger but the form factor on the 9.7 inch iPad, 10.2 inch iPad, 10.5 inch iPad and 10.9 and 11 inch iPad is the same form factor in size.

The 9.7 inch form factor is just little bit smaller but hardly noticeable by much when you look at the sizes of all three.

I thought the 10.9 inch and 11 inch iPad was bigger than the 10.2 inch iPad but the form factor is the same only the display screen is bigger.

It seems Apple is keeping the same form factor but changing the bezels giving bigger display screen but keeping the same form factor.

If that the case future iPad may look like this https://www.applegazette.com/wp-content/uploads/macmag-550x285.jpg

No, having had the 9.7” and moved to the 11”, the 11” is a bigger form factor overall, not by much but it is ‘noticeably‘ bigger.

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
What is surprising about less bezels = more screen?
How do you hold it? Simply by the screen, as long as hand rejection is implemented well (it is on iPad, it is not, at all, on Samsung / Microsoft tablets)
I hold it by the bezels well my hand rest on the bezels and some times I accidentally press the screen and the OS thinks I’m trying to do some thing.

So smaller bezels is a concern.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I hold it by the bezels well my hand rest on the bezels and some times I accidentally press the screen and the OS thinks I’m trying to do some thing.

So smaller bezels is a concern.
That happens to me like a couple of times a month. With Android it's a couple of times a minute. That is to say your are putting the hands on your screen to hold the tablet dozens if not hundreds of time every day without actually realizing it and only once every several hundreds time it interacts, while with Android or Windows it's every time. So I would said it's not really a reason for concern.

Reactions: G5isAlive

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

I think Apple keeps bullying / intimidating the same LCD supplier to make the LCD just a tiny bit bigger and change the same price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.