Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Copefree

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
I plugged it in around 10:15pm last night with it at 4% and when I got up at 6:30 this morning it was at 96%.

I didn't use the 12W wall charger adapter that was supplied in the box -- is this a requirement?

My previous iPad Air would charge relativity slowly but always made it to 100% by morning.

Last edited:

Cascades42

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2016
UK
What charger did you charge it with, and how long is overnight? Apple provides a 12W charger in the box for a reason - there's a lot of battery in the iPad Pro and the charger provided gets it to 100% in a reasonable amount of time.

Last edited:

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
I have no answers, other than I'd give it a hard run in today draining the battery all the way down to shut off and then using the provided charger overnight. See what it looks like after that.

TheLondonFella

Suspended
Oct 6, 2014
It's funny you should say this because my 9.7" Pro charged from nothing (calibrating the battery for it's first charge) to full in about 3 hours!

That's crazy fast, when you consider my iPad 4 takes about 5 hours.

I'd suggest using the charger that came with it ...

By the way, I wouldn't charge it from 4%. You're better off letting it turn itself off, then fully charging it (keep it connected unil it hits 100%) to keep the battery calibrated.

I've had my iPad 4 since launch and the battery is still amazing. I have always run it all the way down, then fully charged it. I know you don't have to do it all the time, but I have and it has worked out well.

And I use my iPad a lot!

Copefree

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
What charger did you charge it with, and how long is overnight? Apple provides a 12W charger in the box for a reason - there's a lot of battery in the iPad Pro and the charger provided gets it to 100% in a reasonable amount of time.

Overnight would be what I outlined in the OP (from 10:15pm to 6:30am this morning) -- so a little over 8 hours.

It was just plugged into a USB outlet on my wall with a standard cable.

I'll use the 12W charger tonight and see if that helps at all.

Aros888

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2012
Chicago, IL
Just so you know, newer lithium ion batteries actually benefit from frequent "soft" charges (top ups) instead of full drains. They're fairly durable for a few years, so any way you charge it will probably be fine, but it's definitely not better for the lifetime of the battery to always fully discharge before charging.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
I plugged it in around 10:15pm last night with it at 4% and when I got up at 6:30 this morning it was at 96%.

I didn't use the 12W wall charger adapter that was supplied in the box -- is this a requirement?

My previous iPad Air would charge relativity slowly but always made it to 100% by morning.

I'm impressed... the iPad Pro 9.7" was just released, how did you drain it so fast...?

The bundled charger is a 10W charger, not a 12W - only the iPad Pro 12.9" bundles with a 12W charger. Regardless, your iPad should charge more quickly with it if you were using your smartphone charger to charge it previously.

Reactions: tekchic

Copefree

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
The 9.7" ships with a 10W wall charger - did you buy a 12W charger separately?

Oops, I meant 10W.
[doublepost=1459526872][/doublepost]
I'm impressed... the iPad Pro 9.7" was just released, how did you drain it so fast...?

It arrived at noon yesterday and it had like 60% charge and I blew through it, easily. Used it non stop pretty much.

TheLondonFella

Suspended
Oct 6, 2014
Just so you know, newer lithium ion batteries actually benefit from frequent "soft" charges (top ups) instead of full drains. They're fairly durable for a few years, so any way you charge it will probably be fine, but it's definitely not better for the lifetime of the battery to always fully discharge before charging.

I have always fully discharged, and my iPad 4 battery is still as good as day one.

Thanks for the advice ...

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Overnight would be what I outlined in the OP (from 10:15pm to 6:30am this morning) -- so a little over 8 hours.

It was just plugged into a USB outlet on my wall with a standard cable.

I'll use the 12W charger tonight and see if that helps at all.

Sounds like the wall outlet USB is not producing the wattage needed. You should be fine charging a phone but I would use the supplied charger and you will be up and running.

aypues

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
San Diego
funny...I woke up and mine was only charged to 90%. I then realized the bundled charger is 10W. Should I keep using my old 12W from iPad4? I wonder why it decided to stop charging at 90%??

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
funny...I woke up and mine was only charged to 90%. I then realized the bundled charger is 10W. Should I keep using my old 12W from iPad4? I wonder why it decided to stop charging at 90%??

Yeah if you have the older 12W charger it should charge faster. There used to be an app called "Battery Health" on the iOS store that could reflect the true charging speed in real-time, but it's currently unavailable.

aypues

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
San Diego
Yeah if you have the older 12W charger it should charge faster. There used to be an app called "Battery Health" on the iOS store that could reflect the true charging speed in real-time, but it's currently unavailable.

kool...hah! I'll sell my iPad4 with the 10W charger...that should take awhile.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Mine arrived yesterday with a 96% charge, I was pleasantly surprised.

I think I'm going to sell my Air with a 10W charger and keep the 12W. Tempted to pick up the 29W for the 12.9" Pro but by the time I buy it and the USB-C to Lightning adapter cable I'm in for $75. That's just over the top too much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.