Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleMac1800

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2016
Has anyone else noticed that out of the box or after cleaning (when the glass is completely fingerprint free), that the glass on the iPad Pro has a lot of friction to it, resulting in fingers dragging along the screen when scrolling or using multi-touch gestures, rather than gliding over the glass like on earlier iPads such as the 4th gen which had buttery smooth screens when the glass was new or cleaned. Could my iPad be missing a coating on the glass or is everyone's iPad Pro 9.7 like this? Thanks.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
My 9.7 is not only as smooth as my Air 2 but it leave way less finger prints compared to any other iPad I have owned. I am pretty amazed at how clean it stays after days of use.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
If it's there, it's a subtle difference (I have both). I'm sure it's related to the new reflective coatings used first on the Air 2 and refined further on the Pro. If anything though, with the Pencil, I could do with a bit more drag still.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I've noticed a difference in slickness between screens on the same model of device. It must vary to some small degree.

GTIJeff

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2016
Mine is EXTREMEMLY slick. Almost too much so. Will this change over time? It's almost hard to select something on screen because my finger will slide. Should I exchange?

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Coming from an iPad 3, my 9.7 pro feels like a comparative fingerprint magnet for some reason. I can't tell for sure about the friction but it might also be a little less smooth.

Mostly I wish it came with a cleaning cloth like the old days! My phone mostly self cleans in a pocket but the iPad has no such luxury!

jsawy3r

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2014
I vaguely recall reading on an original 12.9 iPP review that it had a "rougher" screen to help with writing use the Apple Pencil. My guess is that is also the case with the new 9.7 iPP.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
It IS less smooth, but I actually prefer it. must be something to do with the anti-reflective coating or surface

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
This was explained in the Keynote. The glass has more friction so that the Pencil feels more like writing on actual paper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.