9.7" iPad Pro glass not as smooth as iPad 4

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AppleMac1800, Apr 6, 2016.

1. AppleMac1800 macrumors newbie

Has anyone else noticed that out of the box or after cleaning (when the glass is completely fingerprint free), that the glass on the iPad Pro has a lot of friction to it, resulting in fingers dragging along the screen when scrolling or using multi-touch gestures, rather than gliding over the glass like on earlier iPads such as the 4th gen which had buttery smooth screens when the glass was new or cleaned. Could my iPad be missing a coating on the glass or is everyone's iPad Pro 9.7 like this? Thanks.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

My 9.7 is not only as smooth as my Air 2 but it leave way less finger prints compared to any other iPad I have owned. I am pretty amazed at how clean it stays after days of use.

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

If it's there, it's a subtle difference (I have both). I'm sure it's related to the new reflective coatings used first on the Air 2 and refined further on the Pro. If anything though, with the Pencil, I could do with a bit more drag still.

4. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I've noticed a difference in slickness between screens on the same model of device. It must vary to some small degree.

5. GTIJeff macrumors newbie

GTIJeff

Mine is EXTREMEMLY slick. Almost too much so. Will this change over time? It's almost hard to select something on screen because my finger will slide. Should I exchange?

6. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

My IPP is smoother than my air 2, but not as smooth as my iPad 3. Fingerprints are less than air 2, but more than iPad 3.

7. stevemiller macrumors 65816

Coming from an iPad 3, my 9.7 pro feels like a comparative fingerprint magnet for some reason. I can't tell for sure about the friction but it might also be a little less smooth.

Mostly I wish it came with a cleaning cloth like the old days! My phone mostly self cleans in a pocket but the iPad has no such luxury!

8. jsawy3r macrumors member

I vaguely recall reading on an original 12.9 iPP review that it had a "rougher" screen to help with writing use the Apple Pencil. My guess is that is also the case with the new 9.7 iPP.

9. tivoboy macrumors 68030

It IS less smooth, but I actually prefer it. must be something to do with the anti-reflective coating or surface

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

This was explained in the Keynote. The glass has more friction so that the Pencil feels more like writing on actual paper.