iPad Pro 9.7" shattered screen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by echosx, Apr 18, 2016.

1. echosx macrumors newbie

echosx

So I managed to break the screen on my iPad, holding my phone in hand while using the iPad on a desk. The phone slipped out and hit the home button, causing the glass to shatter.

After going through the iFixit teardown, it appears the area around the home button seems to be structurally weak, both on the Pro 9.7" and Air 2. I wanted to gauge if this was a common problem or not, but the glass seems like a step backwards compared to my last iPad (3rd gen). (Which actually survived multiple drops.)

5EYuzAf.jpg Le7KrzQ.jpg

2. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

I accidentally dropped my big iPad Pro from around 1 foot height yesterday and the area around the power button was deformed slightly causing one side of the power button to be stuck. Fortunately another side of the power still worked so I could push on that side and the button still worked.

It is of course my mistake for not handling the iPad well but with the weight of the big iPad I think the aluminium body is way too weak (or too thin on the iPad to provide strength).

3. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

I would think any piece of glass is extra sensitive along a cut edge or around an area that has a hole cut in it and more prone to break when hit by something.

4. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Augh, sorry to see that. Did you have AppleCare +?

5. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

This. Always buy AppleCare+ for iPads....

6. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Yes... So so worth it.

Phone screen repairs are easy and less expensive than AppleCare+ and the deductible. But an iPad replacement is stupid expensive out of warranty.

7. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Even if you didn't get AppleCare+, check with your credit card company. They might have extended warranty coverage that could help out with repair costs.

9. friedmud macrumors 65816

Bummer! Sorry to hear that!

I can say that my 12.9" iPP survived a tumble out of my backpack from a height of around 4.5 feet (I'm tall) directly to concrete. It mangled the corner of my Apple silicone case... but the iPP is unscathed. Oh the shear terror I felt as I peeled back the smart cover!

I have to agree with Apple Care+. I've never needed to use it on an iPad... but I get it anyway just for piece of mind. Makes it easier on my brain to carry around this thin $1000 piece of glass...

10. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

As a quick overview:

oowc.png

AppleCare+ costs you $150 for initial purchase and 1st repair, so if you're getting an iPad Air 2 or anything later, it's a super-convenient security blanket.

It's also pretty much a complete no-brainer for the expensive and ungainly 12.9" iPad Pro. You could literally buy a new 32GB iPad Pro for the replacement price....

11. pmpalmiero macrumors newbie

pmpalmiero

Thanks for this information, it is exactly what I was looking for today.

12. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

If I remember correctly there's empty space beneath the bottom and top bezel, which could lead it to be more susceptible to cracking.

13. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I am a firm believer in Applecare+ on all my devices for multiple reasons. First, I am carrying a sheet of glass everywhere I go. It just takes 1 small mistake.

• The cheap price over the monthly insurance cost going through your carrier if you have a cellular device= just around $2.00 per month.
    • It doesn't just replace the screen, it covers EVERYTHING except loss and theft.
    • It increases the resale value and makes it more marketable creating a no risk purchase for the buyer. Because you can only buy it within a couple months of purchase, buyers will tend to look at yours vs those that are selling without it.
    • It's refundable prorated so long as you haven't used it, so if you sell the device without Applecare and want some money back towards purchasing Applecare+ on another device, a phone call is all it takes.
    • If you plan to keep the device during the entire length of your contract, included warranty is 12 months, this covers you the entire time you own it.
    • Last thing, If you have a Macbook or expensive computer, call your insurance company and schedule it on a personal articles policy. If you are sitting in Starbucks for instance and spill something on it, or someone walks off with it, if the warranty doesn't cover it, your Insurance policy will replace it.
    I've don't my good deed for the day :)

14. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I've been lucky so far, dropped my big Pro a couple of times thanks to my *!%$)*%! Stupid nerve damage. Both times onto solid wood floors but it's survived unscathed thankfully.

I always take AppleCare (apart from my 6+, but Apple replaced that for me for free out of warranty anyway, awesome customer service) so I'm covered if I do break it and I always recommend getting AppleCare when it comes to something that costs as much as our iPads do and the repair costs, if done officially, are astronomical. As said already, it's a no brainier.

15. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

A UAG cover helps protect iPad from drops and falls.