Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miatadan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Sudbury,ON , Canada
Here in Canada at Best Buy the iPad Pro 9.7 is selling for $689 canadian vs $869 for iPad Pro 10.5
So is the price saving considered , is the iPad Pro 9.7 still a good option? Will I notice performance difference between the 2?
Using as alternative to laptop for email, safari and netflix when not wanting to use desktop computer just to check mail etc.
Seems to me not often that there is decent sale prices on iPad's in general.
My iPhone is the 6, not 6S , expecting this iPad 9.7 to be faster.

So for those who tried both versions , is the $180 saving worth getting the iPad Pro 9.7?

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: ShaunAFC3

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
The iPad 9.7 is fine for what you say you will be using it for. It is also slightly smaller, which for me is a bonus as it lives in my backpack. Its not much smaller, but every little helps... I mean apple do boast about mm being shaved off device thickness... so I think its a big bonus.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I still think the 9.7 Pro is a really good value and it has the majority of capabilities the new 10.5 iPad Pro has, excluding the major differences with the processor, Promotion display and additional RAM.

Based off your uses, the 10.5 iPad might be more than what you need. I think the 9.7 iPad Pro is still a viable iPad That will be supported for years with iOS.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
You should be able to get a much better deal than that on a 9.7. I got mine in February before the 10.5 even came out for less than that ($450). Watch third party stores like BestBuy or Target and they should have some good deals.

Reactions: QueenTyrone

miatadan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Sudbury,ON , Canada
You should be able to get a much better deal than that on a 9.7. I got mine in February before the 10.5 even came out for less than that ($450). Watch third party stores like BestBuy or Target and they should have some good deals.

I think you are referring to prices in the United States, regular price of the iPad Pro 9.7 is $789 at Best Buy, Staples etc in Canada.

Starhawk

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
I think the 10.5 feels like a drastic difference in size. I didn't think it was going to be that big of a difference, but when I used one at the Apple Store, I just felt like it had more breathing room. For casual use, Im sure the 9.7" would be fine.

One example is I always thought the 9.7 was just a tad too small for reading comics, especially at full screen, but I loaded one up on the 10.5 and felt it was muuuuch better.

That being said, I have a 12.9" on order, ha.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
I have both a 9.7 and a 10.5 (not 10.1). Can you go look at both? Only you can decide which one is the better one FOR YOU. I thought I would sell or give away the 9.7 but I think I'm keeping it. I also just got a Mini 4. I think I have uses for all three and I can afford them. If I had to pick just one, it would be the 10.5, but I use it in landscape mode with the Apple Smart Keyboard 98% of the time.

miatadan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Sudbury,ON , Canada
I was originally going to purchase the basic 2017 iPad model at $450 canadian but the lower quality screen ( unlaminated, and no anti-reflective coating ) bothered me as I always looked for best quality screen if possible. Geekbench 4 scores are higher than the desktop I built, now 10 years old but still relatively fast enough due to intel ssd + 16gb system ram with nvidia graphics card. If I account for tax, it is actually $219 difference.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
I think you are referring to prices in the United States, regular price of the iPad Pro 9.7 is $789 at Best Buy, Staples etc in Canada.
Oh wow I didn’t know that the pricing was so much different in Canada.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
My opinion is that it doesn't make sense to save money on older hardware. You're going to have it for probably 2-3 years minimum and you'll get most of that money back in resale value. If you already own a 9.7 Pro I think it's a much harder decision to sell it and pay retail for the 10.5.

Are you guys in Canada not able to buy iPads from third party sites in the US and ship them across the border?

miatadan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Sudbury,ON , Canada
My opinion is that it doesn't make sense to save money on older hardware. You're going to have it for probably 2-3 years minimum and you'll get most of that money back in resale value. If you already own a 9.7 Pro I think it's a much harder decision to sell it and pay retail for the 10.5.

Are you guys in Canada not able to buy iPads from third party sites in the US and ship them across the border?

The iPad Pro 9.7 was just replaced in June so I would not consider its hardware too old. If someone was suggesting the iPad Mini 4 using the A8 and selling for $549 canadian at the apple store, to me that is where the hardware is already out of date at time of purchase.
[doublepost=1500768843][/doublepost]
How long are you planning on keeping it?

3 to 4 years

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
It's totally worth the extra money - I went from the 9.7 pro to 10.5 and its quite a different experience overall.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
The iPad Pro 9.7 was just replaced in June so I would not consider its hardware too old.

June of 2016 is when it was released and the A9 processor dates back to 2015 and the iPhone 6. It does have tru tone but not 4GB of RAM, 120Hz refresh rate or the 20% larger screen. Like I said, if you don't already have a 9.7 Pro it's a pretty easy decision to go with the 10.5 IMO.

miatadan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Sudbury,ON , Canada
June of 2016 is when it was released and the A9 processor dates back to 2015 and the iPhone 6. It does have tru tone but not 4GB of RAM, 120Hz refresh rate or the 20% larger screen. Like I said, if you don't already have a 9.7 Pro it's a pretty easy decision to go with the 10.5 IMO.

For me the P3 wide colour gamat / true tone display was the main reason to choose iPad Pro 9.7 over 2017 iPad or discounted iPad Air 2 but if money was not as much as a issue 2017 iPad Pro 12.9 be my first choice. Going to iPad Pro 10.5 screen size not much bigger.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo

Agree - to me it just does not make any sense to go with last year's model when the price gap is so small.

theNatest

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2016
Twin Cities
The only debate between the two should be if you already own the 9.7 and are considering rebuying into the upgrade. If you're coming from even older tech or no iPad, go 10.5 or you'll regret it.

Reactions: MikaLoop

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
If you can afford the 10.5 I would go for that. If you can't then the 9.7 is your only option so its not a question.
I agree with what people say if you plan on keeping a device for 2-3 years theres no point in buying old tech for what i consider (opinions may vary) a small saving. The 9.7 may run iOS 11 just fine but it may not run iOS 12 brilliantly.

Most people in here will advise you in the direction of the 10.5, but I will kindly disagree.

Honestly, for your use (email, netflix, safari) even the current iPad (non-pro) would likely suit your needs for many years. However I'm NOT recommending that (but it might be worth considering depending on how price sensitive you are). I'm only stating that to say that I think the 9.7 pro will be more than sufficient for your needs. Yes the A10x is a beast, but the A9x is no slouch either! I got a really good deal on a 9.7 pro a few months ago and I could not be happier with it. I recently viewed the 10.5 in the store and, while it's a fantastic machine, it didn't make me regret my decision one bit. The bigger screen, 120hz refresh, and processing power all seemed negligible in my use case. I would recommend saving your $180 for a purchase that I, personally, consider key (and the primary reason I wouldn't recommend the non-pro iPad). The smart keyboard. For me it has been an absolute game changer. Much easier to type, doesn't obscure the screen with the s/w keyboard, it gives an easy ability to prop up the keyboard, add very minimal weight/size, and easily detaches when necessary. It's great.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Most people in here will advise you in the direction of the 10.5, but I will kindly disagree.

Like I said though, if you already own a 9.7 Pro it's tougher to justify the 10.5. By the time you sell your 9.7 and pay retail for the 10.5 you're probably spending an extra $400-500 to get the 10.5. The OP is only talking about a $180 price difference. When you consider the extra resale value of the 10.5 and amortize the cost difference over 3-4 years it's not that significant IMO. And that's not even factoring in the added features/performance you get to enjoy for those 3-4 years with the 10.5. In six months when you can get the 10.5 in the refurb store I think it will be an even better value.

Last edited:
Reactions: M5RahuL

A9 is iPhone 6S, but that's irrelevant because the 9.7 pro is A9X which, while based on the same/similar architecture still blows the A9 out of the water.
[doublepost=1500778594][/doublepost]
Like I said though, if you already own a 9.7 Pro it's tougher to justify the 10.5. By the time you sell your 9.7 and pay retail for the 10.5 you're probably spending an extra $400-500 to get the 10.5. The OP is only talking about a $180 price difference. When you consider the extra resale value of the 10.5 and amortize the cost difference over 3-4 years it's not a big difference IMO.

While I agree that $180 is relatively minimal, if cost is important (and clearly it is otherwise he wouldn't have even posted) I would advise using that money towards the smart keyboard. For my use (and for the use the OP describes) I would hands down take 9.7 pro w/ smart keyboard over 10.5 without it. Also any difference in resale value in 4 years is going to be minimal
[doublepost=1500778741][/doublepost]
In six months when you can get the 10.5 in the refurb store I think it will be an even better value.

Just think how good a deal he'll be able to get on it if he waits 12 months! Oh wait, then he'd be foolish to get it because the new hotness will be out :p

However, honestly to the OP if you do go 9.7 pro, try to find a better deal.... I was able to buy a refurb 9.7 pro back in April for $380US which is $270US less than the 10.5 is going for. (granted that was on eBay, which is another thing that everyone here will steer you away from, but mine arrive in perfect mint condition. But I was cautious with the seller)

Last edited:
Reactions: Broadus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.