$9.95 Snow Leopard Upgrade

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jshelton, Sep 3, 2009.

1. jshelton macrumors 6502a

So the upgrade disc is just that, an upgrade? You can't erase and install with that disc, correct?

I put the disc in and chose install. I had planned on erasing completely first, but it didn't give me that option. It finished and everything was the same except for my screen calibration. Am I missing anything here, or did the upgrade work like it is intended?

Thanks.

2. Kate. macrumors regular

It's exactly the same as the retail disc. The clean install method is in Disk Utility on the disc.

3. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I can erase and install Snow Leopard and restore from my TM backup, just like before?

4. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Yes. Go to disk utility on the DVD and choose erase. Then go back to the installer and install....

5. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

So what exactly did I do, and why was everything the same except for my calibration?

6. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

If you put the disc in and chose install, as you say, then that's what happened, you installed Snow Leopard.

Click the Apple icon in the upper left and choose 'about this Mac'. You should see that you are now running 10.6.0 which is Snow Leopard.

As to your screen calibration, I wouldn't say that's an unexpected side effect of the upgrade.

Snow Leopard, by default, now uses a 2.2 Gamma space which is better than the 1.8 Gamma that Macs have used for ages.

You will probably need to recalibrate your screen, or just use the built in calibration for your monitor and it should be fine.