$9.99 for renting a movie?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by andiwm2003, Sep 26, 2010.

1. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

WTF:

did I miss something or did renting movies get a lot more expensive?

Attached Files:

2. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel

I understand the concept of tiered pricing, but that's just stupid. More than $5 to rent a movie? I'd rather be called a pirate than an idiot.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What's with the release dates?

Maybe the extreme price has something to do with it?

4. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

yes, this movie is released as itunes rental before it is in cinemas. but $9.99 or 10.99 for the RENTAL? others are in the $7 price range. come on, blockbuster was $3 for the DVD. well, they went bankrupt with those prices. but I would gladly pay $9.99 for a pre release DVD that is unprotected and that allows me to watch it for a few days. but $9.99 for 24hrs? Movie execs must be greedy or stupid. Or they want the online business model to fail so that they can keep things as they are for a few more years till they retire. then they leave the rubble of their failed businesses to the next generation.........

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

^^^ That is why it is $9.99.

You are getting it before it is available to rent elsewhere. You can't compare this service to Blockbuster's $3 DVD rental. These movies aren't on DVD, and won't be for a while.

In the end, if you don't like it, don't buy it.

6. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel

Well, that's a bit different. A special price for a special pre-release, I can understand that. Still, I stand by my earlier comment about regular rental prices. If it's less than $5, and then only if it's the newest of the new releases, I'll pay for that. Anything made prior to this year shouldn't be more than $2.99 though.

7. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i know i don't have to buy it. we still can talk about the pricing. this was a rumor and discussion site or has it changed?

my point is that this is a strange business model. only 24hrs while other countries/media have 48hrs, a price that is quite high, i have to watch it on a screen and with a sound system far inferior to a modern movie theatre.

i would have expected them to prerelease it for $5 if they really want to shift the market to rentals. but to me it seems they just want to have very few rentals to get word of mouth marketing for the cinema release.

well, we will see if it works. I would be a lot more inclined to rent it if it had a rotten tomato rating. but it doesn't even have that.

8. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I'd rather pirate than spend 9.99 to rent. Screw those idiots. They're not getting my money!

9. LoganT macrumors 68020

How are they idiots again?

Freakonomics doesn't come out till October 1st in theaters, but if you want you can spend 10 dollars and rent it now.

I'm Still Here is in limited release right now and you can rent it for 10 dollars as well.

Personally I wish every movie would go this way.

10. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Like others have said, the higher rental prices are generally for content that has not been released. It's a preview price

[​IMG]

EDIT:
    Large image? Not quite. :rolleyes:
    In any case, for what I linked on iTunes states "Be among the first to see this sci-fi thriller. Monsters is available to rent now, before its October 29 theatrical release.

11. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

My wife and I have two very young kids (2 1/2 years old and 11 months), so going to the theatre rarely happens. Most everything is DVD, or satellite movie channels for us. But I want to see The Social Network. If it was available for $9.99 for rent, I would get it. Might not be a big screen, but that's still $5 each for 2 people to watch it which is far less than theatre prices and I can make microwave popcorn and lemonade at a fraction of the cost.

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Seems like a great deal for more "indie" releases such as documentaries. (Freakonomics and I'm Still Here (OK maybe not ;)).)

The distributor gets 70% of actual revenue from Apple which is probably a whole lot more than they would get from the theaters.

B

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I thought the same too. I generally don't enjoy the theater because the seats are uncomfortable and its expensive as hell.

I wouldn't mind renting a movie before it was on theaters to stream to my big screen for less then the price of a movie ticket.

14. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

Haven't thought of it this way. So it seems to make business sense to charge $10 for an early release since the market is there.

Well it seems you get your wish for $30 in the future.:eek:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-...said-to-plan-30-home-film-viewing-option.html

15. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Sure tickets $9-11 per person now. A movie for two is $20 before popcorn and stuff if you buy concessions. But you still get a Theater quality sound system, dark dark room and the feeling of being at the theater. I know some people have some wicked home theatre rooms, with crazy recliners, projectors, sounds systems that rival movie theaters, etc., but you won't get me to pay $25-30 for a delayed showing of a new movie at home. I would pay $10-12 tops, otherwise I'll just shelf it till the DVD is in one of those $1 redbox machines.

16. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Meh the whole scheme for rentals is ridiculous just like the prices of some 20 minute TV Episodes. Sorry not paying $2-$3 for a 20 minute TV show.
    Rentals are ridiculous too.

Buying is even more scary, $15 for new release that I can't even burn to a DVD to watch on a BIG SCREN? LOL give me a break. The only appeal as far as I can see are the people that have agoraphobia or someone with medical conditions that have no one else to go out and get a movie for them.

Really the iTunes pricing is a rip off for anything and really music pricing at $1.29 is ridiculous too. Though I obviously can't blame apple on these problems I blame the idiot movie studios that only think with their pockets.

17. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

yeah, prices seem to be a bit all over the place. but as other have said these prices can be attractive to many.

however the movie studios are also not really to blame. their job is to make money and to me it looks like they are experimenting with different price models to see what the market allows.

i hope they will realize that right now downloads/rentals are not as convenient and customer friendly as they should be.

if they would extend the time allowed to watch a movie to 24hrs and allow burning DVD's they might get more money out of the market. time will tell. till then it will be a battle between torrents and studios.

unfortunately I'm probably the last person on the planet who has never illegally downloaded a song or even used a torrent.....

18. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

$9.99 for a pre-release or even a current release of a good movie could be well worth it. i spent $80 each for toy story 3 and shrek 4 for my family of 4 at a regular theater. i don't care how good the sound is or how big the screen is. there's no one serving me cocktails throughout the flick and my dogs aren't lying next to me. :)

19. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yup. Some people are just cheap.

20. brentsg macrumors 68040

I like the idea.

I'll gladly pay $10 for a movie to avoid the theater, but still see it way early. Obviously I'm not going this route all the time, nor would I catch every flick at the theater.