$9.99 upgrade SL Disk same as $29 upgrade Disk?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by OceanView, Sep 5, 2009.

1. OceanView macrumors 65816

I bought a new MBP in August and pre-ordered the $9.99 upgrade disk of SL.
    I'm wondering if this disk is the same as the $29.99 update disk.
    Anyone know?
    Anyway I can check?

TIA.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Does it matter?

The upgrade disk will allow you to install Snow Leopard, that is the end result.

3. Kate. macrumors regular

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

its been mentioned that the 9.99 disc wont allow you to install Snow Leo on a brand new drive.

5. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I too want to know this. I know for Leopard, there was an "UPGRADE" disc. So far with Snow Leopard, it's the box set (for Tiger) and then the RETAIL version. Maybe the up-to-date version is the "UPGRADE" for Snow Leopard similar to that of Leopard.

7. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

It seems if you Mac is a model that was SOLD with Leopard pre-installed, it matters not whether you buy the upgrade DVD or the box set; BOTH will allow a clean install, so long as your hardware ID is accepted by the installer script.

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

No, you are painfully incorrect.
    The upgrade disc (which is free, we pay $9.95 shipping) is NOT the same disc as the $29 DVD. While both will allow you to fully erase your existing install of Leopard using Disk Utility, only the $29 will allow you to install Snow Leopard directly to an empty drive from the start. Please do not get confused about this.
    If you bought a new unformatted hard drive and just installed it on your Mac then only the $29 will allow you to boot up to the installer and begin installation. The upgrade disc for $9.95 will check for an existing installation of OS X, if it doesn't see it a message pops up and tells you that you "Mac OS X version 10.5 needs to be installed before installation can continue." I have both discs and I already ran into this situation.

9. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Oh okay, so I must have IMAGINED having just used the UTD DVD (2Z691-6557-A) boot from, and install Snow Leopard FRESH on a BLANK *INTERNAL* hard disk (the ONLY hard disk, all externals were UNPLUGGED) where the Macintosh HD is the *ONLY* partition!.

Yeah, I must have imagined doing that...

Sorry, but I did it, and I am not so stupid as to not be able to read the words "Upgrade DVD" on my disc I purchased for £7.95 via UTD. This may be YOUR experience, but certainly not DE-FACTO!.

Painful FAIL, because I can assure you 110% I did that an hour ago. I tell you what, how about I get my webcam and RECORD MYSELF DOING IT ALL OVER AGAIN, showing you the DVD and version number, showing you me inserting the DVD, showing you my other UNCONNECTED drive, booting off the UPGRADE DVD, erasing ALL the disk, and installing fresh?!

10. OceanView thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you!
    This is the exact info I needed.
    Guess I'm gonna make another run to the apple store.

11. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

No you are NOT, the guy you quoted is not necessarily "wrong", but read my OTHER posts and OTHER thread, and you'll see.

12. OceanView thread starter macrumors 65816

Maybe there is something you did that was not straight forward in how others installed it. I'm having this issue right now installing onto a blank hard drive.
    Care to give detailed installtion method?
    Thanks.

13. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

I unplugged ALL external drives, booted from the UPGRADE DVD, started Disk Utility, partitioned the (only) internal drive as a WHOLE contiguous volume, formatted in HFS extended journalled (default).

Closed the DVDs Disk Utility, and then proceeded to install as you would normally, like any other day in OS X land. I did NOTHING different!.

14. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Are you 100% sure you can not do a fresh install with the UTD? I was just about to do this as I have read posts on here that said people have been able to do this.

15. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

How can one (HLDan), speak for MANY?. I have tried on my Mac, and it DOES INSTALL as I mentioned. There are the very same forums that swore blind that I could NOT boot a PowerPC Mac from my MacBook via FW (which I had just bought with Leopard on). FAIL! WRONG!. I booted it fine.

Opinion is JUST THAT. I have nothing more to tell you, except the fact that I sit here now, typing on the very Mac I installed onto.

16. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You CAN do a fresh clean install with the UTD as long as Mac OS X Leopard is preinstalled. When booting up to the install screen you will be able to go to Disk Utility, select the boot volume in question, select erase and erase and format the hard drive to Mac OS X Extended Journaled. Come out of Disk Utility and proceed with the installation of Snow Leopard.

What you cannot do is buy a brand new unformatted hard drive (as I mentioned earlier), shove it in your Mac, put in the UTD disc and boot up to the installer and begin installation. A message will appear telling you that Leopard needs to be installed and it will not even allow you to access Disk Utility or anything other than shutting down the computer. I just bought a new hard drive for my Macbook and had this issue.

17. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

And you have experienced this?

18. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Conflicting opinions are showing up - I think HLDan is doing something different to me. HLdan, please detail, step by step EXACTLY how you installed it, along with the DVD version number (eg: 2Z691-6557-A), your hardware ID from System Profiler (eg: Macmini3,1) and whether or not you have ANY OTHER DISKS OR PARTITIONS, and if so, detail them, and whether they are internal or external.

I can assure you I have succeeded, why would I lie?.

19. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Ha ha, well my last line that you quote said I did. ;). I have 3 Macs, iMac 24", new 13" MBP and and 13" white Macbook. I ordered the UTD DVD for my 13" MBP. I'm only answering your question so let's not get into EULA stuff. The white Macbook had a failing hard drive so I ordered a new drive off Ebay, it arrived the same day as my Snow Leopard UTD DVD. I decided to upgrade all three Macs with the UTD DVD.

First I decided to use it on the white Macbook after installed the new hard disk. I shoved in the UTD DVD, started up the Macbook and it went to the install screen. After it got there I thought it was fine until a message appeared saying I need Mac OS X version 10.5 to proceed and it wouldn't allow to do anything but shut down the computer.
    I took out my Leopard DVD, installed it into the white Macbook and then used the UTD DVD and all went well. I was able to go to Disk Utility, fully erase Leopard and then proceed with installing Snow Leopard.

After then, I used the UTD DVD for the 13"MBP and the iMac since they both had Leopard and have had no issues.

This is not an opinion, this is fact and if that other poster wants to keep fighting about this, keep on, this will be my last post. If you want the best experience without trying to figure all of this out then go and buy the $29, it's not much to spend, why waste all of this time trying to figure out who's right or wrong?

EDIT: BTW, the UTD DVD does say "upgrade" on it. The $29 DVD says "Install DVD" on it.

20. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Who's arguing? :confused:

You still have neglected to mention how old your white MB is OR the hardware ID (which are vital to this debate) - the ONLY machine which has failed the install... kinda important information, if you want to keep your status as "argument winner". I think you're going to find, sooner or later, that the white MacBook upon which it failed, was an older machine with an OLDER ID, and the checker script sees it as unqualifiable for the clean install (without existing install OR external drives).

If you read my other thread, you'll see the script which, I think, is checking the hardware ID of machines. Why does this NOT make sense to you??. It makes perfect sense. As you can see, I have answered in a logical manner, not provocatively whatsoever. It is only YOU who is throwing around this certainty that what YOU say is "fact". Arrogance gets you NOWHERE, and although you may be right or wrong, I would ask you to provide the information (that ANYONE can get from Sys profiler) of hardware IDs and what OS each came with as NEW.

If you can't even do that, why are you "arguing" - you don't even provide the evidence.

+++ READ STATEMENT BELOW +++

I shall be attempting to change the hardware ID of my Mac, so that it appears as a 2006 Mac mini, in the next two days. I shall then ERASE my hdd completely, and attempt the install again. If it refuses to install, I shall then know that the installer DOES check the hardware ID, as I suspect (note I say "suspect" and not "this is FACT" like HLdan).

21. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Boom! That's what I was looking for. So there is an "upgrade", "retail" and box set. That's all I needed to know and now know how each one functions/installs! Thanks HLdan!

22. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Yep, and I'm halfway through investigating whether the UPGRADE DVD checks for Mac model - for example: "Macmini3,1" if it cannot find a Leopard or Snow Leopard installation, to qualify the Mac. This makes perfect sense, as all Macs sold since the release of Leopard, CAME with Leopard on them, so why would they need an existing install to be present, when the Model ID can tell the installer that those specific IDs are Macs which came with Leopard!!.

23. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I get what you're trying to do but it doesn't make complete sense. The reason I say that is this say you have a MacBook that is (MacBook 4,1). During that time, the OS that came with it was Tiger but when Leopard was introduced, some of those generation MacBooks (4,1) then came with Leopard so that generation alone could've came with Tiger or Leopard. By your test, Apple would give the benefit of the doubt to the user in that if they had (4,1) install would work. If anything, I think the check is done while booting off the disc and not after booting and has nothing to do with product identity, just my opinion.

(NOTE: numbers used aren't facts, just explaining that computers at a time had both Tiger or Leopard, depending on the time they were bought).

24. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Yeah I had actually considered those transitional models, which is why I think the DVD checks for hardware ID and/OR Leopard/SL installs. If the Leopard install is not found, it checks the ID. Does that make more sense??. I hate arrogance, which is why HLdan's "IS FACT" p*ssed me off, because I am sure my suggestion makes more sense... but I'm willing to fail, gracefully, if wrong. :D

25. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Well this is what I think. When trying to boot off the disc (while holding down the "C" key) it will see if Leopard is installed. If it is, you're free to do whatever if not, well you can't install. I just think everything is done during that 2 minute wait while the computer boots off the disc.