9 month old MacBook suddenly way hotter than normal

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dr.rosenrosen, Mar 17, 2009.

1. dr.rosenrosen macrumors newbie

Saturday evening, my 9 month old MacBook started running far hotter than normal, and the fan running 4000 to 6000 RPM almost constantly. This obviously decreases my battery time to <2hrs from it's usual 4+ hours.

This is all while the computer is just sitting there doing nothing, "at idle" if you will. Of course using applications makes it even worse. It's never acted this way in the past, even under heavy use the fan never ran like this.

All of my searches are only bringing up references to MacBooks being inherently hot, but not giving me any clues as to what has caused this sudden change.

I have not recently added any applications, the software is up to date.

Any ideas?

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

You've noticed this, too? Mine just started doing the same thing and mine is about the same age - should be 10 months now.

At first I was worried it was the HDD. Nope, not that. Checked out fine.
    Just today I thought it could be the battery. Don't think so but it might still be.

I have noticed that it's getting warm throughout the entire machine, not just where the logic board is.

3. dr.rosenrosen thread starter macrumors newbie

Printjobmgr was the culprit @ 90% CPU. The wife had printed train tickets Saturday afternoon. I've shut down and rebooted several times since then, I had no clue that processes could continue to run like that.

This thing's running like new again, activity manager now lives in the dock. Thanks a million Eidorian!!

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Luckily is was something that was common and easily fixed. Printer managers seem to be a big culprit in OS X. :eek: