9 Months and counting to Nex Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by democracyrules, Dec 7, 2016.

1. democracyrules macrumors 6502

Let us hope Apple will release new Apple Watch supported by LTE and independent from iPhone. iPhone independent watch will be the best one since dependency of the watch to iPhone, make it just an iPhone accessory.

2. RadioGaGa1984, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016

RadioGaGa1984 macrumors 65816

RadioGaGa1984

More like 15 months to go. I don't think the watch is on a yearly cycle, more likely an 18 month cycle like the first one.

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Lets not, at least me. No desire for reduced battery life or additional cell charges.

4. Dodgeman macrumors 6502

I don't need two "phones".
    I hope we have at least more than a year before a redesign. I picked up my second generation Stainless because I want to hang onto the Watch and also have the features of what the 1st Watch should be.

5. recoil80 macrumors 68000

I think the Watch will have a 18 or 24 month cycle. It is hard to come up with compelling new features every year on such a product.
    The iPhone has a better camera every year, and a faster processor. But what can they add to the Watch? I don't care about a faster processor to handle notifications, maybe they can entice me with some new health sensors and LTE would be a breakthrough, but only if they find a way to keep the same great battery life you currently get with wi-fi or bluetooth from the iPhone

6. FrisbeeK9 macrumors 6502a

FrisbeeK9

Deleted smart ass comment.

7. Dodgeman macrumors 6502

If it goes on 2 year cycles the watch was released Summer 2015, so that would put a redesign in Summer 2017.
    These series 2 could be like the "S" models hence why we see one in 2016, and another one maybe in 2018? I could be wrong though...

8. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

For someone who knocks the Apple Watch as much as you have on previous posts, you Surprise me that you care.

Anyways, no, the next likely refresh is March 2018.

9. Dodgeman macrumors 6502

You think Apple could be treating this Watch like a new release vs. a refresh this time around? Hence why you say the 2018 date?

10. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I definitely believe the Apple Watch will be a refresh with a new casing, more casing options for metals, colors, etc. Apple traditionally works off of 18 month cycles other than the iPhone. March 2018 is my prediction and being Apple just released the Series 1/2 in September, it wouldn't be logical for them to release a whole new Watch in nine months, in order to avoid consumer exhaustion.

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I completely agree. March 2018 is where I see the next Apple Watch refresh. Apple seems to be splitting up products more now, such as iPads now in the Spring instead of the Fall. Probably smarter because its not easy for customers to drop money in September for an iPhone, October for an iPad and November for a Mac. I just hope the new generation (redesign) Apple Watch is compatible with previous bands. That would be really sucky if it didn't.

12. RadioGaGa1984 macrumors 65816

RadioGaGa1984

Boy me too. I've got 12 Apple Sports bands 2 Woven Nylons and the Milanese loop.
    I have more money in bands than the watch itself. LOL

13. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Wow! I have 6 sport bands, and a knock off link so thats $340, and my watch was $399, so one more sport band and I will be right there. Few colors I want but nothing that screams out to me yet lol

14. RadioGaGa1984 macrumors 65816

RadioGaGa1984

Yea I went a little band crazy. lol

15. Dodgeman macrumors 6502

I only need about 2-3 colors/bands.

Anyhow makes total sense on the March 2018 time frame. Couldn't see them dropping a new Watch in Q1/2 2017. Late 2017 I could see a redesign.
    I'm hoping they don't treat this like an S model, cause technically this Watch came out early 2015, updated late 2016, 2018 for an All new model from? That's a whole 3 years from 2015 original release....

16. Fozziebear71 macrumors regular

Fozziebear71

You still can't walk in a store and buy a Series 2 watch. Why would they announce a new watch anytime soon when you can't even buy the one they announced three months ago.

17. Dodgeman macrumors 6502

Lol... walked in and purchased a SS SB series 2 and a Nike Watch at the same time same store in the colors I wanted. Posted a pic in the Space Black owners thread and can post a receipt. Not sure why others are having such a tough time finding em.

18. Fozziebear71 macrumors regular

Fozziebear71

Just because you got lucky doesn't mean it's the norm. It is well documented that the majority of the time you can't just walk in a store and buy exactly what you want. The watch you are speaking about currently on Apples website says a delivery date of Dec 30. There are none available within a 250 mile radius of me. You got lucky, congratulations.

19. Dodgeman macrumors 6502

lol call it what you want. Search harder.

20. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Every Apple Store or retailer has different availability. My local retailers and Apple stores still have no stock for Series 2. And with the holidays here, it likely won't improve.

21. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

If Apple wait to 2018 the drop in sales next year will be incredible. I still say Sept 2017. Come Feb 2017 interest will have dropped so much after Christmas they will need to give the range a shot in the arm, besides new straps.

22. Dodgeman macrumors 6502

Yeah they are tough to come by, just have to stay persistent.

I'm set with what I have for now. I can't see myself replacing this Watch every year.

23. Fozziebear71 macrumors regular

Fozziebear71

Nope. Once they screwed this release up like the first one I lost interest. I have to have my phone so I understand when iPhones are difficult to get for awhile upon release. They sell in huge numbers.

Apple Watches aren't a necessity and don't sell in anywhere near the numbers of iPhones yet here we are, three months after "release", and its easier to get an iPhone than a watch. It's one of MANY screw-ups by Apple recently and it makes me reluctant to purchase. I decided against purchasing. Apple lost mine and many others who would have purchased on impulse but gave up after you couldn't actually purchase one. Glad you enjoyed the hunt for yours.

24. Dodgeman macrumors 6502

I didn't hunt. I thought about purchasing one when it first made News. Said I'd wait and see how it goes as far as the consumer response. Woke up one day like literally like let me buy one and see if anyone has it. I admit maybe a couple days prior I checked online and noticed the dates pushed back. Looked online and found one locally the same day I wanted to buy both colors I wanted, both bands, both sizes in stock. Agreed not everyone will have that luck.
    They say these Apple Watches are selling more than before. It's holiday time, people wanted a water resistant Watch, people wanted GPS. Plus as you stated it's possible Apple didn't anticipate the demand and thus were a little behind on supply.
    Either way I don't buy every new apple product that drops every year either. Waste of money if you ask me.