90 days support over??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SchneiderMan, Feb 2, 2009.

1. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I just got a call from apple and this dude is saying my 90 days of phone support is over for my macbook pro and i should buy applecare,
    now i asked him dont i have a year of applecare now?
    he said that it wont cover my battery and other things if i dont get phone support! he said that they will charge me to talk to them from now on! this is crazy!

Is this true?? what did you guys do?

What if now i have a problem and i need service, they will charge me for calling support even when i have warranty?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

IIRC, you only get 90 days phone support unless you buy AC. You can still take it in.

3. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

so i cant call for a DIY repair even if i have warranty? :eek:

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I believe that Apple ignores the fee that they would normally charge for phone support if the issue proves to be something covered under the warranty.

I'm not 100% sure on this. Only Apple can confirm.

5. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Very strange, why would they give you warranty but then charge you for a call
    $40 just to talk to them.. :mad:
    I would understand if i didnt have warranty.

6. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Seems like somebody somehow got your information. (phone number and name)
    Sounds strange to me.
    Anyways, just ignore it.
    I haven't ever heard about Apple calling anybody about AppleCare.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Didn't see the part about you getting a call ... that's strange. Are you sure it was Apple ... I've never seen them push the Applecare like that before.

8. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

You get 90 days of phone support. If you have any issues for the next year, you can take to the Genius Bar and have it fixed at no cost, but you will get charged for phone support.

Don

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Technically you are out of warranty, on the phone support part. Yes, Apple does call when you are nearing the end of your warranty or phone support. I've been called and emailed however I have bought Applecare on all my Macs and they don't seem to keep track of that so I've been called regardless.

10. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

yeah its the second time they called even when i said i dont want it the first time!

11. oneEG6 macrumors member

Well, if you don't want it... you don't get it. 1 phone call in 90 days under the "limited warranty". Hardware is still covered, you just have to go into an Apple service provider. Applecare may not charge you if it's something covered by your warranty, as stated before, but most of the time they receive calls that are software related and usually not even Apple related. I can see why they charge for the calls outside of Applecare.

12. gjw4u macrumors 6502

13. alchemistmuffin macrumors 6502

I recommend buying Apple Care.

Apple care will cover all repairs, battery replacement, and even tech support for software (including iLife, and iWork) for up to three years from the day you bought that MacBook Pro.

14. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Applecare is a wonderful offering by Apple. Ask anyone who has had to use it.

We pay a premium for Apple's computer because, generally, they are built so well and the software runs great. But there are components that Apple only buys, and does not manufacture, like the Hard Disk, DVD-R, Screen/Backlights, etc...

So you have to think about those products and how they can fail. That's not necessarily Apple's fault. They also replace things that aren't up to Apple spec if you send/take your computer in for repair, and while in the process of fixing your issue, they find something else. My cousin got his 1st gen White Macbook completely refurbed without even asking.

All that said, you do get 90 days of phone support with as many incidents as you'd like with any Mac computer, I believe iphones/ipods are different in that they only allow for 1 incident in the 90 days. All that info is on the Applecare website.

Beyond that, you have 1 full year of hardware/software support with your standard applecare that comes w/ the computer. Also, it was mentioned that it covers your computers battery, which is true. It also covers peripherals that you bought at the time you purchased your MacBook Pro, like a mighty mouse. It also covers your charging cord.

Most of all, and something no other manufacturer offers is that it covers the Apple software that was preloaded on your computer. No one else can cover software because no one else makes it!

When you think about the fact that you can get applecare on a MacBook Pro for just under 10 dollars per month (or 3 cents per day) for 3 years, it's COMPLETELY worth it.

You can get it even cheaper if you are a student or look around online.

...and did I mention it generally has the fastest turn around time in the industry...It's a no brainer.