Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
I'm forever switching off my iMac as my house occasionally trips, and I've been meaning to buy a UPS for a while. I finally ordered a 1300 VA Cyberpower Sinewave UPS from Amazon (£160), which came today, but it arrived with EU sockets and the mains adapter had an EU plug. In fact, the packaging inside the Amazon packaging was a Czech company sending the UPS to the UK, so not sure what's going on there.

Either way, no good to me, so I've started the return process.

I've now ordered (for pretty much the same price) the UK version, but it's 900 VA, comes Tuesday.

Will this be enough for my iMac? All I want it to do is, for example, if I'm at work and my Mac is on, the power trips, the Mac has a few mins to shut down properly.

Will this be enough? If so, am I able to add anything else to it or is it just gonna be able to power the Mac?

Thanks

EDIT: Just read another thread whereb someone got a UPS with EU plugs - they were advised to just use travel adapters -- I can do that?

Last edited:

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
I'm forever switching off my iMac as my house occasionally trips, and I've been meaning to buy a UPS for a while. I finally ordered a 1300 VA Cyberpower Sinewave UPS from Amazon (£160), which came today, but it arrived with EU sockets and the mains adapter had an EU plug. In fact, the packaging inside the Amazon packaging was a Czech company sending the UPS to the UK, so not sure what's going on there.

Either way, no good to me, so I've started the return process.

I've now ordered (for pretty much the same price) the UK version, but it's 900 VA, comes Tuesday.

Will this be enough for my iMac? All I want it to do is, for example, if I'm at work and my Mac is on, the power trips, the Mac has a few mins to shut down properly.

Will this be enough? If so, am I able to add anything else to it or is it just gonna be able to power the Mac?

Thanks

EDIT: Just read another thread whereb someone got a UPS with EU plugs - they were advised to just use travel adapters -- I can do that?
You could get away with a 750 watt APC Smart UPS. I have a 1000 watt one on my 27" 5K iMac also running a 200 watt audio unit for the a router a printer and modem and external hard drive and it has a 11% load. My TV which is a 55" 4K HDR Sony XE9305 plus a 400 watt soundbar, Sky Q box and a PS4 pro gives a 33% load using the 750 watt Smart UPS when they are all on and 50% with HDR enabled while gaming (still with Sky Q on) which gives plenty of protection and shutdown time.

Last edited:

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
Yes it will. Use an Eaton same capacity and it runs my iMac, Uniden phone etc no problem at all.

Perfect, thanks. Got it all set up, so far so good.

You could get away with a 750 watt APC Smart UPS. I have a 1000 watt one on my 27" 5K iMac also running a 200 watt audio unit for the a router a printer and modem and external hard drive and it has a 11% load. My TV which is a 55" 4K HDR Sony XE9305 plus a 400 watt soundbar, Sky Q box and a PS4 pro gives a 33% load using the 750 watt Smart UPS when they are all on and 50% with HDR enabled while gaming (still with Sky Q on) which gives plenty of protection and shutdown time.

Think the watt on mine is 540, looked at the 750 watt ones but they were too costly. Considering another one for my TV, Xbox One and Nvidia Shield, so might look into a higher capacity UPS.

I use this one on a maxed out 5K iMac without any issues:

CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD PFC
Sinewave UPS 1000VA 600W PFC

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00429N192/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'd actually seen your recommendation in another thread, but I couldn't find that particular model on Amazon UK, hence me going for the slightly lower capacity one.

540 Vs 600 watt difference, otherwise the same I believe? Do you have anything else other than the Mac hooked up to it?

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I'd actually seen your recommendation in another thread, but I couldn't find that particular model on Amazon UK, hence me going for the slightly lower capacity one.

540 Vs 600 watt difference, otherwise the same I believe? Do you have anything else other than the Mac hooked up to it?

I also have a 4 disk ThunderBay IV running from it.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Perfect, thanks. Got it all set up, so far so good.

Think the watt on mine is 540, looked at the 750 watt ones but they were too costly. Considering another one for my TV, Xbox One and Nvidia Shield, so might look into a higher capacity UPS.

I recently did a bunch of research on UPS, as we were required to get one for the cable phone service that the fire marshal requires us to get for my wife's daycare to become licensed. From what I read you should keep the total power under 50% of the rated wattage.

interstella

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2013
Suffolk, England

This happened to me with a Sony soundbar from Amazon last year. It's a bit puzzling given that electrical appliances in the UK must be sold with a suitable plug fitted. Of course, in this case it was easy to fit a UK plug.

I also have the Cyberpower 1300VA UPS. I'm in a rural area and have several power cuts per year. It powers my 27" iMac and various peripherals such as router, satellite internet modem, NAS box, weather station, network switch etc. with lots of power to spare. The UPS estimates it could run everything for an hour so given that I have the iMac set to shut down 2 minutes after a power cut I could easily keep my router running for several hours. I think the 900VA unit will do fine but it's a bit frustrating that Cyberpower UPS's often seem to be in short supply. And the one guaranteed to be out of stock is always the one you want!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.