Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
I there such a thing as a trial version of Logic that will run the benchmark?

Still

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2008
FYI, not one of the new Core i5/i7's but I did it on my MBP 15" C2D 2.53 8GB Ram and got to 22 tracks before I got the overload.

thanks. sounds like a good result for a c2d if you look at the reference chart.

sgtCaspian

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2010
Chicago, IL
I just migrated to my new 15 inch i7, but I won't be able to open Logic until I get home and enter my serial number. If nobody's posted results I'll give it a whirl.

Andrew07

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2007
New 15'' i7 2.66 GHz Macbook Pro
8 GB RAM
7200 RPM, 500GB hard drive
OSX 10.6.6

I can play back 23 tracks no problem at 256 buffer rate.
24 tracks and I start getting sporadic overloads

Still

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2008
New 15'' i7 2.66 GHz Macbook Pro
8 GB RAM
7200 RPM, 500GB hard drive
OSX 10.6.6

I can play back 23 tracks no problem at 256 buffer rate.
24 tracks and I start getting sporadic overloads

thank you!

dumptruck

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2010
I just migrated to my new 15 inch i7, but I won't be able to open Logic until I get home and enter my serial number. If nobody's posted results I'll give it a whirl.

Have you got home? ;) It would be very interesting to see a few more results, both i7 and i5. Decicions, decicions... :confused:
:D

dcurtis

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2010
What's the limitation here? Processing or RAM? Everyone is using 8GB and I'm curious how Logic will run on 4GB.

Macchino

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
Copenhagen
That´s really good, the iMac i7 is a mean mashine. The i7 MBPs are far behind, but I still want to see how far...

Well, thats good to know. Dont worry... I'm installing logic 9 on my new macbook pro right now - (i5, 2,4, 4GB, 500GB@7200, hi-res). Will run it when its done - however it usually take forever to install logic:)

What's the limitation here? Processing or RAM? Everyone is using 8GB and I'm curious how Logic will run on 4GB.

Just wait for my score - it will be a 4GB result.

Still

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2008
Well, thats good to know. Dont worry... I'm installing logic 9 on my new macbook pro right now - (i5, 2,4, 4GB, 500GB@7200, hi-res). Will run it when its done - however it usually take forever to install logic:)

Just wait for my score - it will be a 4GB result.

Thats the machine I am most interested in. Please report your results.

dumptruck

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2010

This is supposed to be a CPU test, and RAM shouldn´t matter unless your memory runs low. The Logic instruments are small and shouldn´t tax either the RAM or the hard drive. The rest is effects processing which is only CPU. But looking at the results I get a feeling that people with faster disks and more memory get a bit better results. Haven't really delved deeper into statistics though...

Maybe try switch off HT.

I believe someone got around 70 tracks with a i7 iMac :p

This guy if we're talking about the same had for example 16GB and dual SSDs in RAID... But, as that shouldn´t matter it can be the hyperthreading issue... Will be interesting to see your i5 MBP results...

Macchino

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
Copenhagen
So dit it on the i5, and got 19... So its three times slower than my iMac - That sucks.

By the way... I only see 2 processor bars on my i5 MBP in logic, but on my i7 imac i see 8. Whats up with that! Shouldnt i see four - given that it has virtual 4 cores?

Still

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2008
So dit it on the i5, and got 19... So its three times slower than my iMac - That sucks.

By the way... I only see 2 processor bars on my i5 MBP in logic, but on my i7 imac i see 8. Whats up with that! Shouldnt i see four - given that it has virtual 4 cores?

seems like logic is not using the virtual cores / activity monitor shows 4 cores right?

Macchino

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
Copenhagen
But it shows the virtual cores on my i7 imac - Something is definately fishy. I cant belive that a spanking new i5 only does aswell as an 2,4 core duo mbp.

I tried in 64 bit mode on the i5 MBP and i got two more - making it a total of 21... Also i used logic 9.1.1. in all the tests.

Hope u can use it mr Still:)

Still

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2008
to quote firechild from gearslutz:
As Logic has a different behaviour than other DAW´s, regarding the "learn the song" issue you are allowed to stop and hit play again to be able to get a better "score" in this test. When you can play say 10 cycles without CPU overload when you have muted as many tracks your computer can handle, you have your result.

Did you hit play again after the first overload message? I can get my results much higher with a few more starts

P.S thank you for the results Sir.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.