90GB deleted, still not free.

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
Hello guys! I just deleted a Media Files Cache folder from Adobe which contained 90GB of trash. I deleted it from the bin, too, but my Mac still tells me I have 40GB of free space as before, not 130. Why? Thanks a lot

PS: I turned off and on the pc, yet.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hello guys! I just deleted a Media Files Cache folder from Adobe which contained 90GB of trash. I deleted it from the bin, too, but my Mac still tells me I have 40GB of free space as before, not 130. Why? Thanks a lot

PS: I turned off and on the pc, yet.
You probably have Time Machine turned on. If you do, when you delete files they get saved in a hidden folder in case you want to restore the files. You can read a bit about it here.

If you turn Time Machine off, then back on, you will find that the files have been deleted and your space will be free.

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
You probably have Time Machine turned on. If you do, when you delete files they get saved in a hidden folder in case you want to restore the files. You can read a bit about it here.

If you turn Time Machine off, then back on, you will find that the files have been deleted and your space will be free.
Yes, I use Time Machine for backing up the drive every month or two. If I turn it off and on again doesn't it compromise the backups?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yes, I use Time Machine for backing up the drive every month or two. If I turn it off and on again doesn't it compromise the backups?
Nope... it will just erase the data in the hidden folder I mentioned. Everything will still be backed up normally.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

A better option would be to disable local Time Machine snapshots.

To do that, open up Terminal and type: sudo tmutil disablelocal

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
A better option would be to disable local Time Machine snapshots.

To do that, open up Terminal and type: sudo tmutil disablelocal
That is an option, but not necessarily better. Leaving the local snapshots on does not hurt anything since the OS will delete the space on its own as the disk starts to become close to full (80%). Having it on can be useful. The local snapshots provide an easy way to restore data that was accidentally deleted when away from the Time Machine backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.