90W adapter shorted out 23" display?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by multiplier, Mar 8, 2010.

1. multiplier macrumors newbie

You might remember in a previous thread I bought a display from someone who claimed to not have a power adapter.

So I had to order one from eBay. Received it in the mail this morning. Plugged it in and it worked fine for roughly an hour.

I go to lunch for 20 min.

When I return, the display is off. Nothing has changed. Everything still plugged in. No power.

Is the 90W not right for this display? Anything else about it that would potentially short it out?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

One of the main reasons for someone not to sell all the components needed for something is because something is likely damaged.

Live and learn. Next time buy something that has warranty.

So it could either be:
    - display is bad
    - power supply is bad

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Sadly there's no easy way to tell whether it's the brick or the display that I can think of. If you have a voltmeter handy you could measure the voltage coming out of the DC connector on the brick, but you'd have to be very careful to keep from shorting it to itself.

Question: Did you happen to notice how hot the brick was when it wasn't working? Might indicate whether it was being overstressed vs. just dropping out. Note that they can get pretty warm even when working properly, based on my experience with a 20" model.

Otherwise the only thing I can think of is find either another monitor to test or another brick.

Something to try: Unplug the brick from the wall for a few seconds, and then try again. If it works, that might indicate that there's a short in the monitor (which should temporarily cut out the brick as a safety feature until it was disconnected from and reconnected to AC power). If that doesn't help you might also try disconnecting it from the wall and letting it sit for a while, just to see if that makes any difference.

That said, based on the questionable claims of the person who sold you the monitor, I'd be suspicious that it's the monitor itself that's bad, and she was just hoping that it was her power brick and dumping it off on someone else. [Edit: Ninja'd on that comment.]