911 HELP!! Imac won't boot!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Toby Goodbar, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Toby Goodbar, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

Toby Goodbar macrumors 6502

Last night i installed apples latest security update. when it was finished, my computer rebooted. i started itunes, put on some ocean sounds on repeat 1, to go to sleep. i noticed the screensaver froze and shortly after, iTunes stopped playing. Imac was unresponsive.

I rebooted, chime, apple logo, spinning wheel, grey screen nothing.

Solutions tried:
    1. pulling power cord overnight (heating problems?)
    2. removing and alternating ram sticks
    3. verbose mode (begins to work, but freezes after mentioning something about com.parallels started)
    4. safe mode
    5. single user mode (thought i had applejack installed but guess i forgot, tried fsck -fy. first pass always indicates error, 2nd pass ok, reboot yields nothing)
    6. Target disk mode w/laptop. (doesn't mount on laptop)
    7. safe mode (can't tell WHATS goin on there but doesn't get past grey screen)
    8. boot from SL install disk (takes forever lots of noises, freezes apple logo and spinning wheel)
    9. boot from Disk Warrior 4 sl compatible (takes forever lots of noises, doesn't get past grey screen)
    10. Option key (hard drive shows up or SL install disk/disk warrior option depending on whats in the drive. choosing hd results in grey screen, bootable disk freezes apple logo and spinning wheel.
    11. D key (apple logo, spinning wheel, grey screen....idk what SHOULD happen, but i don't think thats it)
    12. CMD+Option+P+R (reboots, then apple logo, spinning wheel, grey screen)

No beeping, clicking, or other irregular sounds, or chimes to be reported.

whew...i think thats everything.

ANY input appreciated. i'm at my wit's end trying to figure this out.

2. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

OK new info...

to make this even WIERDER.....

i'm on my macbook googling my fingers bloody and i realize i can see the imac on my finder sidebar. so i click on it assuming its a network ghost, and it actually let me log in and see the hard drive contents. WTF!?

my imac is on with a white screen still....
    but i have access to it over the wifi?....so i'm logged in w/out functioning gui?? i don't get it....

ANYONE? ANYTHING??

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

It sounds like either the screen or the video card went. If it is newer call Apple or take it in to an Apple Store Genius.

4. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Do #12 until it reboots and chimes 3 times in a row, then release and see if it starts up normally.

5. Toby Goodbar, Sep 15, 2011

Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

no it does not.

IN OTHER NEWS:

i put in a new hard drive i had around with a fresh install of SL i put on it using my macbook but nothin has changed.

in verbose mode, i noticed it was freezing up after airport rsn on en1, so i yanked out the airport card to see what would happen and instead it froze on the com.internalmodem dependency or something.

i wish i knew what came after airport, because if i did, that would probly indicate what was causing the problem since it would appear it will freeze on whatever the previous working item is.

I also obtained an ASD disc to and ran a single test and a 5 loop test and everything passed. I really don't know what to do next.

To anyone who is going to recommend the genius bar. Ive been that route before, including with the iMac in question. they don't know anything. their job is to tell you how expensive something is to fix, and that its not worth, and sell you on just buying a new product. last time i had a problem with this iMac, i brought it inand they told me it was either a bad logic board, or a bad screen/screen component. i called BS and left, realized it was probly a power supply and have been problem free for 2 years since it i changed it. i had an iphone they said was water damaged and i should upgrade or buy a refurb. again i called bs, bought a new camera module and ribbon off ebay for $8 and fixed the problem myself. ....sorry had to vent here, but the genius bar is still at junior high level.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

1) Is it the right disk for that computer?
    2) Have you tried Target Disk Mode boot from another Snow Leopard install?

3) Can you get data off it?

4) Have you updated it to a recent version before the security update? Repair permission.

Never experience any of that at genius bar from the days of eMac to today.

Also, I bet you that they know way more than you do, because they need to past hardware and software certification tests every year.

7. Toby Goodbar, Sep 15, 2011

Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

1) Is it the right disk for that computer?
    Yes it is the original retail version of SL i installed from when it first came out.

2) Have you tried Target Disk Mode boot from another Snow Leopard install?
    Yes and Yes. I put the macbook into Target disk mode and booted iMac with option key but it didn't seem to recognize it as an option. in fairness i know there was a problem awhile back with a firewire port from a bad ebay adaptor....I believe i tried it going both ways and both ports since i couldn't remember if it was the 400 or 800 port that went bad. No recognition at all so i kind of left it alone.

i don't know if you noticed in reading, but I did put in a completely different hd with SL installed on it using the macbook.

3) Can you get data off it?
    Yes I can play movies, music, access files of all types by booting it with original hard drive and letting it get past apple logo and spinning wheel and to the subsequent blank grey screen.Once that happens, my macbook will see it on the network or let me connect using smb and do whatever it wants as far as files are concerned

4) Have you updated it to a recent version before the security update? Repair permission.
    Not sure what you mean here, but if you are talking about the original HD, then yes, whenever apple released system, security updates or what have you i let it update.
    Permissions should've been repaired by fsck? In any case i eventually put it in an external enclosure and used the macbook with disk utility to repair permissions.

If you are talking about the newly formatted fresh SL disk i tried swapping out then no. i just installed from that retail disc and plugged it in

Never experience any of that at genius bar from the days of eMac to today.

Also, I bet you that they know way more than you do, because they need to past hardware and software certification tests every year.

that may be so, but then that only makes them keeps them updated on the newer products, or maybe their just trained to keep sales up. maybe i just went to "bad" stores idk. whatever the case i'd rather not argue over a subjective point that cant help. we've both had our experiences and made opinions from them. it was just a rant anyway.

Thanx for the help, it IS appreciated. have you gleaned any insight from my answers?

8. andy.barron macrumors 6502

it very much looks like the video interface. If the data is accessible remotely & you can copy I would recommend firstly cloning the system (if you have a drive large enough to hand then CCC) & then taking for a hardware replacement (no genius dude will know what that means so you will be safe:))

Ok, not good news so sorry for :) face

9. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

i agree, but i have doubts too, because the hardware test is a fullscreen gui that worked, the apple logo and animation worked, and single user mode works. is that possible without a video card?

As far as hardware replacement, i'll do it myself once i can figure out definitively whats wrong.
    and as far as carbon copy, i don't care TOO much about having a wiped drive because i only keep system files on it, i have an external that keeps EVERYTHING else. even though its a PITA starting over, that fresh start sure is nice after a couple hours lol

10. andy.barron macrumors 6502

It is possible with a faulty one yes.... However re-looking at your post I'm now thinking that it could be logic board speaking to video interface.....(really sorry mate)...

I think the problem may be with main board & I know that is not what you want to hear.

ONLY my opinion though & may be miles off the mark.

11. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

Guess it's not. While it may only be your opinion, unfortunately it sounds spot on and along the lines of what I've been thinking. Like some LB component is failing/failed that can't/isn't tested by software checks. Like a car with a stuck fuel gauge that happens to be out of gas. No diagnostic tool will tell you that's why your car won't start. It will simply say everything's ok.

I only wish somebody had something better to say...

12. andy.barron macrumors 6502

Yea feel for ya...

However take it into a Apple authorised reseller & hopefully the repair maybe a small component & bit of solder....

I really hope it is anyway & they will let you know for a nominal fee what will be involved.

Best of luck, I have everything crossed for you

13. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

Not a bad idea. I may try that if I can find one reasonably close.

If not, I wonder if there's a way to convert it into a cinema display?