92 days are you serious!!!! WT%

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by frankbuddas, Dec 9, 2010.

1. frankbuddas macrumors newbie

So I have my Mac pro 3.2 and today I launch it and it crashes. Stays on for about 2-5 minutes thats all. The light on the unit stays on but the monitors shut down? The first time it crashed the monitors went bazzerk and i had to manually kill it? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I dont have money for the apple care today wont until next week!!!! WTFFFFF ran out 2 days ago.

Thanks
    Help

BTW could it be the video card? If so anyone know where I can find the drivers for it?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The warranty is for one year. Free phone support is for the first 90 days. Call Apple or make a genius bar appt. You're covered.

3. frankbuddas thread starter macrumors newbie

do I bring it to the store to get fixed? I just installed the latest fix lets hope that helps. WTTFFF thanks man.

4. biggd macrumors 6502

biggd

Attach it to ur tv to test the video

5. frankbuddas thread starter macrumors newbie

wierd thing about it is it only crashes when I connect my 42 inch samsung via display to hdmi connector?......regular monitor works fine.

6. frankbuddas thread starter macrumors newbie

it was attached to a tv. For some reason it crashes when I hook up the HDMI to the tv when I dont its fine. worked fine for 92 days. Ive been a mac owner for 10 years this is the fist time anything bad has happened..........as I knock on wood

7. biggd macrumors 6502

biggd

Video or logic board

8. goMac macrumors 603

Sounds like your video card. Wouldn't be a driver thing. Would be a time to buy a new video card thing.

FYI - You can't buy AppleCare anymore. Gotta buy it in the first year.

It's also possible your TV is broken. Try another machine with that display?

9. frankbuddas thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive only had the mac for 92 days. Im gonna try another tv but its not that. the graphic card smells funny. like over heated or something.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

11. frankbuddas thread starter macrumors newbie

92 days according to phone support. took the panel off my graphic card is flaming hot to the touch???

12. viizi macrumors regular

maybe your graphics card is caked with dust. Get an air compressor on that thing because lots of dust on the fan can stop it completely.

13. frankbuddas thread starter macrumors newbie

some dust not much letting it cool down cleaning and bam giving it another shot.

14. jenzjen macrumors 68000

No, it is a desktop system so you don't have to take it in, you can troubleshoot over the phone. If it is user replaceable, they will send you the part.

15. goMac macrumors 603

Then you're still in your first year of AppleCare (which is free). If you can't figure it out, take it in.

Be aware, in the past when I've taken the card to the store they've wanted me to bring in the entire machine, but frankbuddas' suggestion is good, phone support might just send you a new card.

16. frankbuddas thread starter macrumors newbie

okay hit it with air let it cool down so far so good. there was a little dust in there which could have been the problem. If it happens again straight to the mac store.

17. nanofrog macrumors G4

At 92 days, there shouldn't be enough dust to cause any overheating. Sounds like it's a bum card, and it will need to be replaced is all.

If you do want to take it in, they usually want to schedule a Genius appt. If you just walk-in, they could tell you to turn around and go home, call, make an appt., then come back (it's the managers discresion as I understand it, so it's a gamble without the appt.).

But I like the phone method as well (no need to drive anywhere, pack up the system,...).