923-0125 magsafe board wanted

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Ian.C, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Ian.C macrumors regular

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone knows where I can get one of these from in the UK quick?

923-0125 magsafe board MacBook Air 13 mid 2012

Thanks in advance

Ian

2. Lucas Godfrey macrumors 6502

Lucas Godfrey

you can get them ebay fairly easily, they come from the US and cost about 30-60 quid.

...but if you are after the real deal i can get you one from :apple:GSX for £19.36
    i'll levy £5 for an envelope and the postage as well so i could do it for £24.36 (paypal only)

think about it. if you decide you want it i can order one on monday and send it out on tuesday. PM if you want it, don't forget address and all that.

cheers.

3. Ian.C thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Lucas,

Many thanks for your very kind offer.

I have managed to borrow a friends magsafe board and it's not that. Easy and reseda lay cheap to try.

Since its been subject to liquid damage I instantly shut it down removed all power and stripped the machine completely. Cleaned all the liquid I could find with an achohol solution and left it to dry for 5 days.

Put it back together and everything works off battery fine. As soon as I connect the magsafe connector to charge the machine the display switches off and there is no charging led lit.

As soon as I remove the magsafe connector the screen comes back on...

I suppose I will have to take it into apple and tell them what happened and see what they say.

Thanks once again you are very kind to offer to get me the part

Ian

4. cyber16 macrumors 6502

Did you look real close at both the ribbon cable for burns and the set of wires that connect the magsafe i/o board?

5. Ian.C, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014

Ian.C thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,

No I will check thanks a lot for the advice, it's making me lose sleep without my macbook

Thanks a lot

Ian

6. Ian.C, Apr 12, 2014

Ian.C thread starter macrumors regular

Hi I have checked all the cables from and two the magsafe board.

The main flat cable that runs from the magsafe Board to the logic board looks like it has a pin missing which might be the reason why it doesn't charge or it switches off when I connect power from the mains adaptor

If anyone can look at this picture and compare a working MacBook Air 2012 I would be very grateful

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Many thanks

Ian

7. cyber16 macrumors 6502

Look very closely at that cable, maybe with some light from the back side.
    See if you can see any traces that look burnt.

Did you use your old cable with that test loaner board?

8. Ian.C thread starter macrumors regular

Hi

Yes I don't have another cable. I was hoping to catch my friend that lent me the board before he left for holiday, missed him by an hour

I will double check but I couldn't see any burnt pins / traces or discolouration just what looks like a missing pin

Do you have a cable to see if yours has a missing pin like mine?

Thanks a lot

Ian

9. cyber16, Apr 12, 2014

cyber16 macrumors 6502

I have several Mid 2012 Magsafe i/o boards and cables.
    None of them have a missing pin like yours pictured.
    If the moisture sensor on the underside of the flat cable still white or is it now red?

Sorry about the poor pictures, low light and cell phone camera

To be on the safe side it may be best to purchase both the cable and board.
    Many times on ebay that is the most cost effective way, then you are covered.
    If it turns out you don't need the board, you will always be able to sell it.

Attached Files:

10. Ian.C thread starter macrumors regular

Hi cyber16

Thanks for all the help and advice, mine doesn't seem to have either a white or red circle it's just black all over

I have pm Lucas to see if he can get me a cable or I will have to purchase one from the states.

I just need one ASAP

Thanks a lot

Ian

11. cyber16, Apr 12, 2014

cyber16 macrumors 6502

If your cable does not have that sensor within my first picture
    Someones been inside that air at some point. They are just stick on sticky back stickers.
    You will find them in several locations of the logic board, and on the underside of the battery. The battery alone has about four or five of them near/on each cell.

I suppose it is possible that Apple omits them in the units sold in your country

Be sure to search ebay under several terms such as "mid 2012 air i/o board" & "mid 2012 air magsafe" "mid 2012 air magsafe cable" Then be sure to purchase the correct one for the 13" not 11"
    Like = http://www.ebay.com/itm/111190994533?ru but not necessarily from china