Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
I've only had it a few hours but I love it, I know in my mind exactly where its going to fit in my life and the things ill be using it for, but still when my work colleage comes up to me and says

"so what is this device, I just dont get it....can you explain it me?..."

why do I have to bite my lip from starting with .."its like a big iTouch..." cause that just doesnt do it justice. When I get home tonight and the wife screams at me for buying it, im going to have to be quick with the justification and get it just right to passify her !

So whats your sell on it, your brief explanation to that partner or someone querying your buying habbit that makes it all justified ?

How do you retort to the uneducated " its just a big touch .....or Whys it different from a netbook" probes?

sandyjmacdonald

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
I've only had it a few hours but I love it, I know in my mind exactly where its going to fit in my life and the things ill be using it for, but still when my work colleage comes up to me and says

why do I have to bite my lip from starting with .."its like a big iTouch..." cause that just doesnt do it justice. When I get home tonight and the wife screams at me for buying it, im going to have to be quick with the justification and get it just right to passify her !

So whats your sell on it, your brief explanation to that partner or someone querying your buying habbit that makes it all justified ?

How do you retort to the uneducated " its just a big touch .....or Whys it different from a netbook" probes?

I justify it by the fact that I've hardly used my MacBook or iPod touch since I got it. It most definitely is not just a big iPod touch.

The only way to justify it is to let someone use one for a day. Then they'll just know.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
I don't have to justify it. It's my effing money, nobody else's! :D

I was originally worried about the fiance freaking out on me for spending it on this, but I just thought, screw it!

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
I justify it by the fact that I've hardly used my MacBook or iPod touch since I got it. It most definitely is not just a big iPod touch.

The only way to justify it is to let someone use one for a day. Then they'll just know.

when you put it like that, and its mostly true in my opinion....

your paying for the quality of the experience rather then new functionality, cause the experience is out of this world.
But a common retort to you would of been you can do everything on your macbook and touch why did you waste your money on a new device, and THATS what my wife is going to saty *grumbles*

cjbryce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
London
I say "Yes, it really is just a giant sized iPod Touch"

Then I show them Keynote (the laser pointer always gets a "wow") then iBooks and then IMDB.

And then they want one:)

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
When I get home tonight and the wife screams at me for buying it, im going to have to be quick with the justification and get it just right to passify her !

a common retort to you would of been you can do everything on your macbook and touch why did you waste your money on a new device, and THATS what my wife is going to saty *grumbles*
Well, if you used the household money/children's food allowance to buy it, then perhaps she has a point and you deserve screaming at. :p

However, if it was bought with your "own" money (do married men have their own cash? ;)) then what is the problem?

Enjoy it.

I am sitting here trying to convince myself I do not need to go to the Apple store tomorrow and get one. This is ridiculous. :eek::p

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Personally I like Stephen Fry's take on this (at the time he was talking about Apple in general but I think it really applies to the iPad):

They’re like office blocks, these computers. People go to work, use them and step into that environment of the computer, like an office block. But only Apple understands that the dullness and contemptuous views of the business side of computing are that it’s there to do a job… That’s not good enough. All the things we love, beauty, colour, the wit of the thing, should be inside

That's not an exact quote, the full thing is much better (of course, it's Stephen Fry!) and is available on iTunes under Podcasts / Meet the author. But I think it sums things up rather nicely... the iPad is the first full-size computer in the consumer device market, the first one that's been built away from the corporate-based PC (and OS X and Linux) world. It may not work in the long run of course but isn't it worth finding that out for yourself?

Edit - Actually, I think this is a bit closer to the version I heard and sums it up better:

So you can guess that I certainly do think design is important. But it doesn't have to come from Apple. In fact, I wish to goodness it came from everywhere. I hope you'll believe I'm not an unthinking slave to Cupertino. Apple gets plenty of small things wrong, but one big thing it gets right: when you use a device every day, you cannot help, as a human being, but have an emotional relationship with it. It's true of cars and cookers, and it's true of computers. It's true of office blocks and houses, and it's true of mobiles and satnavs. A grey box is not good enough, clunky and ugly is not good enough. Sick building syndrome exists, and so does sick hand-held device syndrome. Fiddly buttons, blocky icons, sickeningly stupid nested menus - these are the enemy. They waste time, militate against function and lower the spirits. They make the user feel frustrated and (quite wrongly) dense. Mechanisms so devilishly, stunningly, jaw-dropping clever as the kind our world can now furnish us with are No Good Whatsoever if they don't also bring a smile to our face, if they don't make us want to stroke, touch, fondle, fiddle, gurgle, purr and coo. Interacting with a digital device should be like interacting with a baby.

So, yes, beauty matters. Boy, does it matter. It is not surface, it is not an extra, it is the thing itself. Le style, c'est le truc, as De Buffon would have written today.

Not so sure about the baby bit but you get the gist... :D

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I justify it by the fact that I've hardly used my MacBook or iPod touch since I got it.

Exactly how does this justify it? Seems to me it does the exact opposite. Seems to me that it's just completing tasks that you could have done on your MacBook or Touch. This is like me trying to justify a new car purchase by saying "hey, I hardly drive my old car now". Now, if you were using you iPad to do other tasks that you could not do on your MB or Touch, then this would definitely justify it.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
ngenerator said:
I don't have to justify it. It's my effing money, nobody else's! :D

I was originally worried about the fiance freaking out on me for spending it on this, but I just thought, screw it!

I wholeheartedly agree :D

Lotuskid

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
When ppl tell me it's a big iPod touch, I say yes it is, but being bigger is all it takes to make the experience so much better.

O and I justify it because I sold my laptop in ordee to get the ipad. now I have a desktop and iPad. I find my main uses are to browse the web, watch videos etc. Basically consume content. Which as it turns out is an awesome experience on the ipad, vs my laptop.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
THIS!

I couldn't give a rat's ass what others think about it.

+ A4

I can spend money I earn from work I do on things I want without needing to justify it to anyone. I pay my bills and contribute to savings; leftover funds are usable in any way I like. :D

Apple is the only company I do have a yearly budget for though. This year was the iPad, next year will be the iPhone 5G.

sandyjmacdonald

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Exactly how does this justify it? Seems to me it does the exact opposite. Seems to me that it's just completing tasks that you could have done on your MacBook or Touch. This is like me trying to justify a new car purchase by saying "hey, I hardly drive my old car now". Now, if you were using you iPad to do other tasks that you could not do on your MB or Touch, then this would definitely justify it.

It justifies it because the iPad does what I used my MacBook and iPod touch for so much better than either device. If you have the means to do something better, then why settle for something mediocre?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
...When I get home tonight and the wife screams at me for buying it, im going to have to be quick with the justification and get it just right to passify her !
Buy her something nice before you go home.

It is a big iTouch, but that makes it nice in the same way a 50" TV is nicer than a 13" TV.

bleighty

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2006
I am a photographer trying to make a name for myself locally. I recently attended a meeting with a number of potential high-end clients. The meeting was great.. I have a shoot tonight, in fact, because I was there..

but..

Handing my phone around to everyone to show them my portfolio was not fun. I own the Droid. Its a great little phone with all the bells and whistles I need.. but the gallery functionality leaves A LOT to be desired.

The next day I picked up a 64g wifi iPad at the local apple store and sync'd a portfolio gallery onto it. OH MY OH MY.. what a visual impact this makes now. Handing it to a client, they are 1. In love with the device and 2. Captivated by the quality of my images..

Its a win-win for me.. and I think I've made a few iPad sales as well..

Love it.

Bryan
bwlphotography.com

limesmoothie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
Well, I work hard and make enough money to treat myself. If I want to spend it on tech goodies, then I will. End of story.

It fits perfectly where I tried to put a netbook for the last few years. Very portable, can do some work tasks but is mainly a decent web browser/music and video streamer/personal organiser etc etc.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007

Me thinks it is time to put your woman in her place. Just kidding. :)

Mitchrapp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2010
I'm with the group that's it's my money but I use my iPad every day all day.

When I first heard about and went to a negative site and I heard "it's just a big iPod touch" -- that sounded pretty cool to me. But each day I've had it, since April 3, I realize it's much more than that.

No netbook or laptop anymore, ever. EVER. I can do everything on it. But in the end, it's my 'effing money ;).

Btw, Broken Sword for iPad is here. How cool is that ;).

One Love 1867

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2009
Sheffield, UK
I thought even after I'd ordered one that I'd have to justify it to myself but about 30 seconds after It arrived all that disappeared. Just to use the iPad sells itself.

As for the missus.. telling her I wanted to spend as much as this on something which is "just a big iPod touch" was easier than I thought it was going to be. I think she's an Apple fangirl at heart, and although she's mocked me over the last week, I know that once she gets to have a play around with it tomorrow, I'll be having to wrestle it out of her hands. Sketchbook and iBooks should just about do it..

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
I justify it to my girlfriend, by saying: "Didn't you spend £690(of her money, mind) on a Burberry handbag a month or two ago(what is it with women in regards to bags and shoes?)?

I justify it to my friends by saying: "Here you go. Try it out." :D

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
It justifies it because the iPad does what I used my MacBook and iPod touch for so much better than either device. If you have the means to do something better, then why settle for something mediocre?

I catch what you're saying, but you didn't exactly say that originally. You could have just been using your iPad over your MB or Touch because it's a shiny new toy.

But back to the original question, the only person you need to justify it to is yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.