92c too hot for GPU? (Late 2008 MBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dingobaby, Oct 25, 2008.

1. dingobaby macrumors newbie

So I got my 2.53 gHz (late 2008) MacBook Pro last week Monday and I love it, but I've been having some heat problems. It's mainly with the GPU, everything else seems to maintain decent temperatures.

So this only really happens when running XP and playing Crysis. Yes, I know this why it runs hot. The game suggested running everything on high, but I turned the water, particle, volumetric, and shadow effects down to medium. It runs pretty well, around 15-35 FPS with the median around 25-30ish. Also, I'm running this through an external monitor (an older 24inch cinema display), not sure if that makes a difference (LCD was running too).

I noticed a problem after playing for about 10-15 minutes, the LCD completely shut off and I was forced to cycle the power. This happened again so I felt the bottom of the computer. Burning hot, I couldn't keep my hand on it for more than 2 sec. I have one of those notebook fan bases so I put that under it and propped up the back a little extra. I left the computer to cool off for a bit and didn't touch it until (presumably) it was at room temperature. When I turned it back on it read 72c after 10 minutes of idle. After running Crysis for 5 minutes it read 85 with a high of 92. After playing for another 10 minutes it keep pretty steady around the low to mid 80s.

Is this too hot for my GPU? I don't want to fry anything or work it too hard. Everything else seems to be fine, and it only really gets hot while running XP. While running Leopard it runs around 60c. I don't know, some advice would be appreciated.

2. TXBDan macrumors regular

Technically 95C is not too hot for the gpu. Its data sheet (well actually the 8600m GT datasheet shows an operating range up to 120C.

But the fact that the LCD turned off doesn't sound good.

FWIW, i've been playing w/ stressing my ol' 8600mGT the past couple days and even overclocked running 3Dmark, Nvidia stress demos, and playing Crysis (but maybe not quite for 15min) i've yet to see over 85C.

How are you monitoring the temperatures? I've been using the RivaTuner monitor and/or the simple Hardware Monitor which records min/maxes.

Also what kinda of ambient/idle temps do you see? Is it hot in the room? I am using a laptop stand with a single small fan in it. (Belkin Cool Flow or something like that)

3. Mackan macrumors 65816

Other people have also reported that the machine runs much hotter in Windows than OS X...

4. Nate025 macrumors regular

Mine is. I'm sitting in Vista 64 right now downloading updates and firefox, surfing, and playing music in WMP. It feels around 3-5 degrees hotter than running World of Warcraft, settings maxed, in OSX.

5. singaporesling macrumors newbie

Hey how do you guys check your temps when in Windows. I've been doing a lot of heavy gaming( mostly DoD:source for a few hours at a time) and I wanna make sure im not stressing it too badly or that atleast my temps are staying within spec.

6. TXBDan macrumors regular

Hardware Monitor from cpuid.com is small and simple.

I've actually been thinking that it seems to idle/normal use a little cooler in WinXP than OSX.