Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CJayC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
I'll make this as short and concise as I can.

There was an ad on CraigsList for an unlocked/jbed iPhone 3GS 32GB for $400 lightly used with box, no scratches since he would not be getting the iPhone 4.

The seller and my friend then met up and he showed my friend the iPhone 3GS. He turned it on and everything was legit and perfect except for a scratch in the top right of the black plastic. My friend pointed this out and after about 30 seconds of negotiation the seller agreed to take $50 off the price.

My friend quickly went back to the car to retrieve the cash and then came back with the $350. The seller handed him the open box with the phone on top and the lid in the other hand. My friend only needed to look for half a second to see that there was a phone in the box before closing it up himself.

When he got home he took it out of the box and then he saw it. When he told me the story I knew right away he had gotten a Sci-phone, one of the Chinese imitation iPhones. And as you all know the front of the Sci-phone and 3GS look nearly identical at a moment's glance, plus my friend had no reason to suspect foul play.

I didn't post this story so you could make fun of my friend so you could boost your own self-confidence but just to warn you that scams out there take place.

kodek

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
As much as that sucks, it's freaking hilarious. I hope it never happens to me, though :(

Edit: Might as well be helpful if I'm going to make fun of him.

When I sold my 3GS on CL, I brought a friend with me to a Starbucks near my house. We met in a public place with people around us (but not too crowded), and I made sure my friend was watching everything while I made my transaction. I also checked the money to see if it was fake.

If I were to buy a phone, I'd definitely bring a friend along so that nothing like this could happen.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
I would call the seller and tell him you are really happy with the phone and that your friends wants one too. Meet with the seller again but this time bring two guys to hide across the street and a 9mm in your pocket. You can fill in what to do next.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Always check it out again by turning it on again or placing a Big Purple Barney sticker on it if you plan on being away to get money.

All he can do is relay the info to the cops, they will take the info on the people and enter it into the database.

Likely nothing will happen besides the entering the info into the computer, until the scam approaches a targeted number to warrant an independent investigation -- or get picked up for something else.

aarong50

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2009
If you look at the other threads, cl sellers go on lockdown and ignore the buyer.

You could always get the police involved.

I am a cop - and your local police won't touch this.. Way too many variables here to ever charge someone with a crime. He could however sue the person in civil court but it's your friends word against his.

Daiden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
I am incredibly weary of people making transactions on eBay or Craigslist -- when money is involved, greedy people will goto great lengths to try to take it from you. Always examine anything you're buying (even from a store) closely before putting down cash for it.

That being said, it sucks that your friend got scammed. I hope he/she is able to do something about it.

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
I am a cop - and your local police won't touch this.. Way too many variables here to ever charge someone with a crime. He could however sue the person in civil court but it's your friends word against his.

Good call. I figured one would not get too far with the police anyway due to the small scale of it. Small claims would be the venue for the civil suit, but it will be hard to track down the seller if he absconds.

Criminal and civil remedies aside, this case is best left for "live and learn." Your friend had the opportunity to make a reasonable inspection and failed to do so. He learned a $350 lesson.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Heard that happened to many people.
They buy an expensive iphone and they dont bother turning it on to test it out at all.
Just like ebay, craigslist, flea markets the rule is trust noone and always have in the back of your mind that you might be falling into a trap or scam.
Double and triple check many times before handing the money or product to the other person.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Good call. I figured one would not get too far with the police anyway due to the small scale of it. Small claims would be the venue for the civil suit, but it will be hard to track down the seller if he absconds.

Criminal and civil remedies aside, this case is best left for "live and learn." Your friend had the opportunity to make a reasonable inspection and failed to do so. He learned a $350 lesson.

As these kind of lessons go, $350 is a cheap lesson. Your friend and his/her close mates will definitely be more aware of these scams, especially more expensive ones. Especially investment scams.

MadMacxxx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Newport Beach, CA
The seller and my friend then met up and he showed my friend the iPhone 3GS. Everything was pretty much perfect except for
I guess he didn't really show it to him, as in, he didn't power it on and let him mess with it. Had he decided to actually examine it, rather than glance at it, he'd notice that it was fake.

my friend had no reason to suspect foul play.
It's Craigslist, so he had every reason to suspect foul play.

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
That really sucks :(

Stories like this are why I don't trust Craigslist one bit. I just wouldn't be comfortable with buying or selling anything on there.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
This guy is as good as dead. I found out who he is and here's how I did it. Click play as slideshow and use the arrows

http://img375.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=step1y.jpg

Also note that my friend is a cop and has a lot of cop friends ;)

Good job.
See if you can call him or get in touch with him in person and try to get your money back or threaten that you will call the cops and lock him in jail.
Keep after him untill you get your money back.

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2009
Very sneaky! Lol, that's always fun to do. I guess people don't realize how much people can find out about you online.

CJayC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
Good job.
See if you can call him or get in touch with him in person and try to get your money back or threaten that you will call the cops and lock him in jail.
Keep after him untill you get your money back.

I won't be doing that because he's a cop himself and his cop friends know and I don't know if you know this but police officers are deemed "credible persons" by the court, meaning they take their word as evidence. That's one of the reasons why they can simply say you ran the stop sign and have no other evidence. He's going to drive by in his police car at 5AM tomorrow just to be sure that's him. He remembers what the car looks like so that'll be enough justification for him to know that I found the right Ryan Williams.

cowsrus

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2008
This guy is as good as dead. I found out who he is and here's how I did it. Click play as slideshow and use the arrows

http://img375.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=step1y.jpg

Also note that my friend is a cop and has a lot of cop friends ;)

very nice, seems like there is the possibility of that not actually being the guy so try and contact him before you actually report him

as for buying things on craigslist, it is generally awkward when meeting someone to buy something, and the more you inspect something the more of an insult it is to the person that you are assuming they are trying to rip you off, but you are spending around $400 and you will never see this person again so spend 5 minutes turning it on and making a call, check the settings etc, etc it doesnt hurt to be a dick and take a while in this situation no matter how awkward it is

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.