93GB of "other" on my SSD. What could it be??

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by bigpoppamac31, Mar 22, 2015.

1. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the storage tab is about, this may help explain: For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply: Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question: Freeing up drive space in Mac OS X

3. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well I just deleted the sleep image file and TM local backups are disabled. Not sure what else it could be. It's now at 89GB but that is huge.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read through the rest of my post, including app suggestions in the 5th bullet point, and the last set of links that point to other scenarios that may guide you to the answer.

5. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well what if I took my Mac to an Apple Store and they could "clean" it for me??

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It may not need "cleaning" at all... most Macs don't. A little exploration should uncover the answer. It's entirely possible the space is consumed by files you want to keep, but just haven't identified what they are.

7. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

All my files are in their proper place. I'm usually very organized like that. I can't imagine having 89GB of randomly scattered files all over my hard drive. I'd never leave it like that.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

"Other" files doesn't indicate they are "scattered" or that they are in a particular location, but simply classified as "Other", because they don't fall into one of the other categories. Did you read the links I posted that explain what "Other" files include?

9. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

I skimmed it a bit. What if I just did a clean install of Mavericks and put all my content back manually?

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's very possible that nothing is wrong. You're not going to get rid of the "Other" category, and there's nothing inherently wrong with having space consumed by that category of files. Rather than skim, I recommend taking the time to read it. You may be trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. There's not a problem with having "Other" files. The only problem you face is that you don't know what they are.

11. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

But how could I not know about 89GB of files?? That doesn't make sense.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It happens all the time, as evidenced by the threads I linked to.

13. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

That is why you could use some of the apps that will show you what those files are - and most tell you where the files are located. That can help you decide what you should do next.
    Or, when you discover where they are, and still are not sure - you can come back with THAT info, too. There's good folk that have some experience that will help answer your concerns.

14. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well I noticed for example that when I "get info" on the Music folder it says 97.1GB but the About This Mac put it at 116GB. Why would that be? I know that movies or shows downloaded from iTunes are put into a folder within the Music folder.

----------

Well I'm not good with Apps like that cause I don't want to mess around and end up deleting the wrong thing and screw up my system.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The "Other" category you're asking about isn't iTunes.
    Those apps I recommended only provide information. They don't delete anything.

16. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

I just used the Music folder as an example. It's like that with the other folders as well.

17. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Good grief, don't do that.

Have you run Time Machine to a backup disk recently? If not, your machine will be saving versions of all your changing files to its local disk. This is a great feature, but if you don't actually back up to an external disk at some point, it will chew up free space pretty quickly.

Also, have you emptied the trash recently?

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You may have missed this:

19. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Is there a Time Machine backup file located somewhere?

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The link in the 2nd bullet of my first post answers that question and others about TM backups.

21. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Okay but that second link didn't tell me where the file(s) is located and if I can delete it.

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you've disabled TM backups, they're no longer on your drive.

23. Mike Boreham, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015

Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

How did you disable TM local backups?

My memory may be failing here, but I can't recall how this is done except by the Terminal command GGJstudios supplied. Is that what you did? Your comment that you don't like to use apps to measure usage because you might delete the wrong thing tells me you are not the sort to run Terminal commands.

Turning off TM deletes the local backups, but does not do it instantly. You can turn TM back on later after the locals have been deleted and resume.

You are not about to run out of space, so I would not get too OCD about this, and let OS X sort itself out.....or use one of the apps GGJstudios suggests, I use Whatsize.

24. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Do you happened to have any big-ass storage iDevices that is almost filled to the brim with photos or recorded videos and had iTunes backup your iDevices' contents...?