Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada

Attachments

• 2015-03-22 08.36.04 pm.png
    2015-03-22 08.36.04 pm.png
    193.3 KB · Views: 433

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you're wondering what "Other" category in the storage tab is about, this may help explain: For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply: Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question: Freeing up drive space in Mac OS X

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Well I just deleted the sleep image file and TM local backups are disabled. Not sure what else it could be. It's now at 89GB but that is huge.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Well I just deleted the sleep image file and TM local backups are disabled. Not sure what else it could be. It's now at 89GB but that is huge.
Read through the rest of my post, including app suggestions in the 5th bullet point, and the last set of links that point to other scenarios that may guide you to the answer.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Read through the rest of my post, including app suggestions in the 5th bullet point, and the last set of links that point to other scenarios that may guide you to the answer.

Well what if I took my Mac to an Apple Store and they could "clean" it for me??

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Well what if I took my Mac to an Apple Store and they could "clean" it for me??
It may not need "cleaning" at all... most Macs don't. A little exploration should uncover the answer. It's entirely possible the space is consumed by files you want to keep, but just haven't identified what they are.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
It may not need "cleaning" at all... most Macs don't. A little exploration should uncover the answer. It's entirely possible the space is consumed by files you want to keep, but just haven't identified what they are.

All my files are in their proper place. I'm usually very organized like that. I can't imagine having 89GB of randomly scattered files all over my hard drive. I'd never leave it like that.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
All my files are in their proper place. I'm usually very organized like that. I can't imagine having 89GB of randomly scattered files all over my hard drive. I'd never leave it like that.
"Other" files doesn't indicate they are "scattered" or that they are in a particular location, but simply classified as "Other", because they don't fall into one of the other categories. Did you read the links I posted that explain what "Other" files include?

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
"Other" files doesn't indicate they are "scattered" or that they are in a particular location, but simply classified as "Other", because they don't fall into one of the other categories. Did you read the links I posted that explain what "Other" files include?

I skimmed it a bit. What if I just did a clean install of Mavericks and put all my content back manually?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I skimmed it a bit. What if I just did a clean install of Mavericks and put all my content back manually?
It's very possible that nothing is wrong. You're not going to get rid of the "Other" category, and there's nothing inherently wrong with having space consumed by that category of files. Rather than skim, I recommend taking the time to read it. You may be trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. There's not a problem with having "Other" files. The only problem you face is that you don't know what they are.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
It's very possible that nothing is wrong. You're not going to get rid of the "Other" category, and there's nothing inherently wrong with having space consumed by that category of files. Rather than skim, I recommend taking the time to read it. You may be trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. There's not a problem with having "Other" files. The only problem you face is that you don't know what they are.

But how could I not know about 89GB of files?? That doesn't make sense.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
That is why you could use some of the apps that will show you what those files are - and most tell you where the files are located. That can help you decide what you should do next.
Or, when you discover where they are, and still are not sure - you can come back with THAT info, too. There's good folk that have some experience that will help answer your concerns.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
It happens all the time, as evidenced by the threads I linked to.

Well I noticed for example that when I "get info" on the Music folder it says 97.1GB but the About This Mac put it at 116GB. Why would that be? I know that movies or shows downloaded from iTunes are put into a folder within the Music folder.

----------

That is why you could use some of the apps that will show you what those files are - and most tell you where the files are located. That can help you decide what you should do next.
Or, when you discover where they are, and still are not sure - you can come back with THAT info, too. There's good folk that have some experience that will help answer your concerns.

Well I'm not good with Apps like that cause I don't want to mess around and end up deleting the wrong thing and screw up my system.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Well I noticed for example that when I "get info" on the Music folder it says 97.1GB but the About This Mac put it at 116GB. Why would that be? I know that movies or shows downloaded from iTunes are put into a folder within the Music folder.
The "Other" category you're asking about isn't iTunes.
Well I'm not good with Apps like that cause I don't want to mess around and end up deleting the wrong thing and screw up my system.
Those apps I recommended only provide information. They don't delete anything.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
What if I just did a clean install of Mavericks and put all my content back manually?

Good grief, don't do that.

Have you run Time Machine to a backup disk recently? If not, your machine will be saving versions of all your changing files to its local disk. This is a great feature, but if you don't actually back up to an external disk at some point, it will chew up free space pretty quickly.

Also, have you emptied the trash recently?

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Well I just deleted the sleep image file and TM local backups are disabled.

How did you disable TM local backups?

My memory may be failing here, but I can't recall how this is done except by the Terminal command GGJstudios supplied. Is that what you did? Your comment that you don't like to use apps to measure usage because you might delete the wrong thing tells me you are not the sort to run Terminal commands.

Turning off TM deletes the local backups, but does not do it instantly. You can turn TM back on later after the locals have been deleted and resume.

You are not about to run out of space, so I would not get too OCD about this, and let OS X sort itself out.....or use one of the apps GGJstudios suggests, I use Whatsize.

Last edited:

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005

Do you happened to have any big-ass storage iDevices that is almost filled to the brim with photos or recorded videos and had iTunes backup your iDevices' contents...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.