94 % battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iamjustin, Aug 20, 2007.

1. iamjustin macrumors member

i had my mbp for just under a month and already istat says my battery health is at 94%. is this normal? is there anything i can donwload or do to bring the health up or is this a problem?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

From my experience MacBook Pro batteries are just bad to begin with, but try calibrating as suggested above. Sometimes that will raise the capacity.

4. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

Also, don't be afraid to use your battery. Their potency naturally erodes over time and use. Once in a while, discharge your battery to about 25% and charge it up again. Don't leave it plugged in all the time. You should only be calibrating your battery once a month.

5. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

A related question:

I just bought a used MBP and the battery health is listed by iStat as 52%. I haven't calibrated it yet so I don't know yet if that will help it at all. My question is if there is any chance Apple would give me a new battery (still under Applecare). Otherwise is buying a battery from eBay safe? They seem to be going for good prices there.

6. DeepShadows macrumors newbie

I just got a brand new OEM Apple MBP battery still in the package that apple ships them in for $49 and it works perfect. :)

7. klymr macrumors 65816

Calibrate it and it should bring it back up. Mine has dropped down to 99% and it's only on the 3rd cycle. My first battery (slowly developed charging problems) had dropped down to 96% and after a while it jumped back up to 100%. I think you'll be fine.

8. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Would U care to elaborate on this...

This is a Stock Apple Batt or Apple-like item :confused:... Please advise and perhaps Post a Link for us "Little People" who might Bite on the Deal too!! Thnx_ ;)

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

the battery health does deviate. its like everything else. it will change up and down depending on certian conditions.

e.g. as the battery runs low (10%-15%) the health might drop a few points. 90% health is still good!

10. polycat33 macrumors 6502

That sounds low to me. After a month I was still at 100%. I'm at 97% now at two months (and it just dropped down from 98% a few days ago). What's your battery usage like? How many cycles are you at? You'll for sure want to try calibrating, it could be that you're getting more than 94% and with calibration the comp will realize that and set it up to it's correct percentage.

11. DeepShadows macrumors newbie

Yup, real stock apple battery, the real thing...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200135825514&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=010

That deal ended, but you can find similar deals like this:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/orig-A1175-Batte...yZ116323QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I got a really good deal, looks like they aren't as cheap anymore, I would hunt around... although 59 USD is still cheap for a brand new battery.