9400m and 9600gt - completely pointless, but what about the 17"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Muler36, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Muler36 macrumors member

the 9400m and 9600gt inside the macbook pro is absolutely pointless, who in there right mind would want both inside a mbp but only be able to use one (as sli/hybrid isnt supported).

the only slither of hope i have is the 17" is delayed because they're going to put a more powerful graphics card in it (bigger case, more space for a bigger card?) but otherwise, this whole waiting game was a complete anti-climax.

congrats if you were waiting for a macbook, but macbook pros really were a let down, i hate to pass on the wait for the new 17", but its because im in disbelief that apple would be so stupid to put two individual gfx cards in the same laptop.

personally, not impressed.

2. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

It makes a lot of sense for battery life, when people are using their notebooks on the go it's usually for lighter things, browsing, email, etc. They don't need a 9600gt sucking the juice for that. But when it's time to work or game hard you are usually locked down near a power outlet, so you can switch over to that 9600gt. SLIing them wouldn't really make much sense, in multi gpu setups usually the slower gpu bottlenecks the faster, so it would end up being like 2 9400s, which I don't think would be faster than the 9600gt itself.

3. Tobler51 macrumors member

/sign..
    waiting for the 17"...maybe 1 powerful graphix! ........... and matte option :p

btw TIM said "what about 17" macbookpro -> "refreshed today""...uhm??

4. tbae12 macrumors member

the two graphics cards will make sense once snow leopard comes out. the new OS is suppose to take advantage of the GPU's processing power to speed up the computer.

5. Muler36 thread starter macrumors member

fair enough if the 9600gt was 4 hours and the 9400m was 8 hours, but its only an hour difference, not worth it.

aye I hate to be one of the first to hope on the next macbook, im not bothered about the screen, i can use an external when i really need to be specific, but i do expect a PRO laptop to have better than an "yeah its alright" card.

6. Egil macrumors newbie

I'm waiting for the 17". I've waited for months, why not wait a few more?

7. Muler36 thread starter macrumors member

if the 17" doesnt come with a bump up in graphics/cpu, im not waiting any longer to be honest