9400m Editing and Rendering 1080p Video?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by krypticos, Jan 13, 2010.

1. krypticos macrumors regular

Im thinking about getting a mbp 13" and i was wondering how well it edits and renders 1080p video. i currently edit and render on my 2007 mb and it takes 3 hours just for the render, plus it freezes for a few seconds here and there scrolling through the video. so we will say 4 hours total 1 hour to edit 7 min clip and 3 hours or more to render it. what my question is does anyone out there edit and render 1080p video with there 9400m and if so about how long does it take. and how long the video was that you rendered. the reason im asking only about 1080p is that my mb can work fine with 720p and it has the igpu for intel the x3100. also i mainly shoot in 1080p/60 frames per sec. so if anyone has done this or will do this that would be awesome to know.

2. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

I edit in 1080p on my 2.53GHz 4GB 500GB MacBook Pro 13 in Final Cut Pro 7. I use the normal 444 Proxy codec. I first encode the video in 444 proxy so no rendering while editing and no rendering even on slight effects like brightness etc. When I'm done the edit I export in H.264 1920x1080 with a 2048kb Bit rate. It actually took 3.5 Hours to export the video with Mail,iChat,Skype,Tweetdeck,iTunes and safari in the backround (6 Min Piece) and took about 2.5 Hours to encode (8 Min piece). you don't of course have to encode if Final Cut has native support codec like AVACHD otherwise you will need to render in the edit along with render with every visual effect. And Unlimitied RT will run kind of 4 FPS a second.

3. silversreen macrumors newbie

4. krypticos thread starter macrumors regular

thank you for the quick response. im sorry i forgot to say what program i use and file time. i use imovie 09 and the file time is mp4 h.264 captured at 1920x1080x60fps at 24Mbit/s. the reason i use imovie is that it has native support for mp4 video without losing my 60 frames per second. so if anyone can say about imovie that would be awesome.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Interesting and redundant and lucky post.

OP: Video and sequence settings have to be the same to edit without rendering all the time.

EDIT:

H264 is no editing codec, iMovie has to convert the video to be editable.
    It will use the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) to convert the footage to.

Have a look around on some threads about this via MRoogle.

6. krypticos thread starter macrumors regular

i did search for it and i couldnt find what im wanting to know. all i want is if someone can tell me that rendering out a 7 min or so clip in imovie that is 1080p at 2500kbit/s or so. about how long does it take.