9400M failing - 2009 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hephaestus, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Hephaestus macrumors 6502

I think my 9400M is starting to fail. Basically my expose is becoming ultra choppy and laggy and so are some other animations. Expose has always been a tiny bit choppy since the beginning but thats the OS, but now they're ridiculously delayed and laggy.

At first I thought it was my HDD failing but I've ran loads of maintenance checks and everything says its fine. Also it doesn't sound odd and the reading times are fine. Its just the animations that are stuttering.

I switched to my 9600M GT and have been using it for around 15 minutes and the issues appears to have gone. Just want to know if anyone else has experienced this or if there is anything I can do other then sending it in for repair? Maybe its a software glitch related to my GFX Card? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

3. Animalk macrumors 6502

Graphics choppiness in OS X is not something I would attribute to graphics card failure. Only graphical corruption and artifacts.

4. Hephaestus thread starter macrumors 6502

How would I do that? Thanks for your responses.

5. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

6. Hephaestus thread starter macrumors 6502

Lol point taken. I actually did that straight after asking, I just have a habit of asking anyway. I've been using the 9400M for 5 minutes after restarting the PRAM and it seems to be okay now. Haven't been on long enough to say for sure but I'll report back in a while to confirm.

7. newdeal macrumors 68020

the 9400m kinda sucks. the newer 320m or 330m or whatever is in the new 13" pro is FAR better for expose. I had around 30 apps open at the same time and expose had almost zero lag it was incredible (this was on the 13" air actually not on the pro)

8. Hephaestus thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok this is annoying, a whole day later and the issue is happening again. I still stand by what I said when I say it only happens when Safari is open. If I just have loads of folder windows open it doesn't happen, its just really strange and isn't making sense.

I'll try to capture it on video and upload it onto youtube.

9. Hephaestus thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tip, tried it but it didn't work. I managed to capture the problem on video and am currently uploading it to youtube so you guys can see exactly whats wrong.

10. Hephaestus thread starter macrumors 6502

11. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

are you running snow leopard or leopard?

i have the mid 09 MBP 5,4 with 9400m. i noticed graphics choppiness when i run snow leopard but in leopard (10.5.8), its smooth.

12. Hephaestus thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm running the latest version of Snow Leopard, I always run updates as soon as they come out. The issue started a couple weeks ago but I thought it was just a bug that would dissapear with an update, it's still persistent though and I'm struggling to find the cause.

13. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

Is this a glitch exclusively bound to the m9400? I can replicate it on my mac mini as well. It may just be a glitch and not a failing graphic card.