9400M toast?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbyun04, Jul 6, 2011.

1. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

Whenever I use my 9400M to save on battery life it seems after a while the screen will start glitching – there'll repeated boxes, can't see my cursor, black boxes, and the screen won't really respond to what i'm doing. As soon as I switch to 9600M it seems to be fine.

Did the 9400M have a history of having problems? I didn't have the money to pick up extended AppleCare at the time so I'm guessing whatever it is, it'll cost basically an arm and a leg to get it fixed eh?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You wouldn't be able to extend the warranty at this point anyways. You can only extend to 3 years within the first year after purchase. If you have an 09 MBP you're a year late.

You are looking at a logic board replacement, which usually runs in the neighborhood of several; hundreds of dollars.

3. jbyun04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

I know that much haha that's why i figured it's probably not worth it.. ugh that sucks

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Are you switching in the system prefs and logging out/in or are you using gfxcardstatus to change between your 9600 and 9400?

5. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Yeah, maybe its just the card switching, try forcing it with gfxcardstatus as the quoted poster mentioned.

6. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Iv'e seen a few threads as of late that actually suggest the opposite. A few people have claimed to be quoted as low as 300-500 For logic board replacements.

7. jbyun04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

Using systemprefs, will try using GFXCardStatus; don't have it atm.

Oh that's kind of good news then. Might be worth a trip to the Apple store.